Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Confused on Lagavulin's Limited Edition Conventions

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Confused on Lagavulin's Limited Edition Conventions

Postby dman777 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:35 pm

I have been stocking up on Lagavulin Disllers Edition distilled 1996 bottled in 2012. I am trying to build a Lagavulin collection and I like it and I thought it was a limited edition. On the box/bottle it saids lgv 4/500. But then I watched a you tube review on it and the guy had the same bottle that said lgv 4/500. I'm confused now... obviously this isn't bottle #4 out of 500 made. What is this lgv. 4/500? And is this truely a limited edition where only so many were bottled and sold?
dman777

Re: Confused on Lagavulin's Limited Edition Conventions

Postby dman777 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:56 pm

Actually, from doing a some research I found out this is batch number 4/500. So...I guess the question stands is how many bottles come out of a batch number 4? Also, how limited edition is this? Should I really stock up on it?
dman777

Postby whiskgeek » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:26 am

They set aside a certain number of casks each year for the Distillers Edition. That's why they call it limited. But they release it every year. And they're not so limited that they're hard to get. Also, since there are only so many casks of Lagavulin available at any one time, even the regular 16-year is technically limited.

But they do vary a bit from year to year, so if you find you really like one year's product much more than the previous, you might want to buy a little extra.

And the code on the bottle is simply this year's code. I'm pretty sure they just make up some digits to make it sound important.
whiskgeek
Bronze Member

Postby dman777 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:07 pm

Wow, I live in Texas where it is illegal to order over the internet any strong alcohol like scotch. The liqouer store that I go to sometime has the Distillers Editions and sometimes they don't. Is this hit or miss the only way I can get the Distillers Edition? Or is there a sure way where I live?

Also, do you know when in the year the new Distiller's Edition batch get's released?
dman777

Postby Ganga » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:38 am

Do they still have Spec's Liquor in Texas? If so, you should be able to get a wide variety of whiskies. There are also Batches of Lagavulin 12 cask strength, 25 and 30 (if you can find the last two or are willing to go to a collector).
Ganga
Matured cask

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder