Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Best Campbeltown for around 60 quid?

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Best Campbeltown for around 60 quid?

Postby Moose... » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:51 pm

With all of the other regions it seems pretty easy to pick up a highly rated Malt for the above price mark but it seems much trickier with this region.
I'd like one that captures some of the regions classic tastes as it will be the only one from this region in my collection.
Cheers to anyone with any suggestions.
Moose...

Re: Best Campbeltown for around 60 quid?

Postby The Third Dram » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:01 pm

Not at all sure of prices in your area. That said, Springbank 12 Year Old Cask Strength and Longrow CV immediately spring to mind as excellent options that offer a lot of taste intensity for the money. Longrow 14 Year Old's a fair bit more expensive, yet has a very unique (and to me, appealing) flavour profile.
Last edited by The Third Dram on Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby Moose... » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:03 pm

I'm in North Yorkshire UK so prices will be whatever is on the UK web.
Moose...

Postby The Third Dram » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:08 pm

You're probably looking at the £40-45 range for the first two, then.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby jmrl » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:42 pm

Springbank 12yo cask strength is £43.50 where I work - the current batch (5 - I think it is 54.2% but not sure) is not so much to my taste as earlier examples. If you want a classic example of the region look no further than the Springbank 10yo (£34.50), or the CV is usually a bit more rugged at £32.50 while good examples of the mainly sherry cask matured 15yo can be particularly satisfying . If you like more peat try the Longrow CV £35.50, the 14yo is sadly discontinued but the recent 2013 18yo release is right up my sherry street and approximately £65, the earlier annual releases being not so assertive nor graceful rather delicate and mellower than my hopes.

The Hazelburn 12yo is triple distilled unpeated and sherry cask matured at around £49 while the CV and 8yo are not usually the strongest representative of the region as they are relatively restrained but that's the point I guess.

Of the recent releases from Glen Scotia the 10yo was best value although I've not tried the 21yo.

Springbank has never been chill-filtered nor artificially coloured and bottled at minimum 46%, it is the oldest family owned distillery in Scotland and the only one to carry out 100% hand malting and also matures and bottled every cask on site.

Kilkerran from Glen Gyle distillery is as yet only available as a work in progress. The recent sherry cask matured batch 5 is my favourite. £35.50-ish.

I wouldn't worry most every bottling will represent the coastal fuller bodied style that is distinctively Campbeltown and offer value, beauty is of course in the eye of the beholder and we all have our own eyesite. also these bottlings come in batches whose variation can be not insignificant
jmrl
Gold Member

Postby dramtastic » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:23 pm

I can't fault TTD's recommendations, but I'd go for Springbank 15 if your only going to only get one. Balanced and Complex. Actually the first single malt I ever bought(I've had many since).
dramtastic
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Moose... » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:07 pm

TTD
Thanks for the advice.

jmrl
Thanks for such an informative reply, really appreciate it.

Dramtastic took the words right out of my mouth, I think I'll go with the 15. I know it's slightly out of the original budget but would the 18 be worth the extra cash?
Moose...

Postby jmrl » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:58 pm

The 15 beats the 18 for me
jmrl
Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:19 am

In reality, there are three distilleries to choose from: Springbank, Kilkerran and Glen Scotia. Kilkarren is the new kid on the block. You won't find anything that is very old. Glen Scotia has operated intermittently over the years. At least in the US, limited choices. Springbank offers up three different opportunities: Longrow (heavier peated malt), Springbank (lighter peating) and Hazelburn (triple distilled). Each of them will give you a different look.

I enjoy the Longrow CV, Springbank 12 CS and the Hazelburn 12. At this point, I don't know if Kilkarren will get you very far as I believe the oldest distillate is 7 or 8 years of age.
Ganga
Matured cask

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder