Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

distilled whiskies and gluten

All your whisky related questions answered here.

distilled whiskies and gluten

Postby bhomstead » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:52 pm

Is there a way to get a definitive answer, negative or positive, about the possible gluten content in distilled beverages. I realize that single vs multiple distillation may make a difference, as well as pot stills vs continuous. There is also a question that gluten content cannot be accurately tested in alcohol. Do any distillers test, test each batch, or are we living by assumption and legend, that there is no gluten in distilled beverages. I am willing to research this but could use some help.Thank you
bhomstead

Re: distilled whiskies and gluten

Postby bredman » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:49 am

Gluten proteins won't make it into the distilled product.

Some grains (spelt, wheat) are high in gluten whereas others (barley, rye, oats) are low to very low in gluten content but spirit made from any of these sources are totally gluten free regardless.

I do know that a couple of amateur celiac groups out there say to avoid grain based spirits, but it's just words.

bhomstead wrote: or are we living by assumption and legend, that there is no gluten in distilled beverages.

I would have to answer 'yes'.
bredman
Double Gold Member

Re: distilled whiskies and gluten

Postby Ganga » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:10 am

From everything I've been able to find out, distillation does not allow gluten into the product. I have some friends that have reactions to gluten and they have no reaction to whisky.
Ganga
Matured cask

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder