Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Is the newer Lagavulin DE younger?

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Is the newer Lagavulin DE younger?

Postby JJR24 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:17 am

I just bought a couple new bottles of Lagavulin Distiller's Edition (lgv. 4/500) and was surprised to find that it was distilled in 1996 and bottled in 2012. My older bottles of DE are all 17 years old while the new one is only 16 years. Is Diageo double maturing the Lagavulin for an even shorter amount of time in the newer DE's?
JJR24
Bronze Member

Re: Is the newer Lagavulin DE younger?

Postby whiskgeek » Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:40 am

I just checked my bottle of Laga DE, and it's 1994-2010.

My research a while back, indicated that, for its Distiller's Editions, Diageo was using the distilleries' standard product (16y, in the case of Lagavulin), and finishing it for a period of around a year. Could be as short as nine months. Could be as much as fifteen or even eighteen months. Not only that, but the pre-finishing age could vary within a year's time, so the two aging periods could result in a lot of variation.

With things going the way they're going, I would assume the average age has been going down in recent years, and will continue to do so, until they reach the limit. Or they might break the limit and market as a... Special 15-year Distiller's Edition! Also note that they don't put ages or very specific dates on the DE. So that 1994-2010 just might be a 15-year.
whiskgeek
Bronze Member

Postby The Third Dram » Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:59 pm

There certainly have been alterations in the maturation periods of Diageo's various DE offerings down through the years, predominantly reflecting a lessening of age.

For instance, the 1982 Dalwhinnie DE clocked in at around 18 years of overall maturation, the 1986 Glenkinchie DE at approximately 14years, the 2000 Lagavulin at some 20 years and the 1983 Oban DE at about 17 years. All of these releases illustrate an ageing regimen greater than (sometimes significantly so) that for the regular bottlings.

Of late, however, the folks at Diageo appear to have settled on general DE maturation periods closer to those for the regular bottlings. And they definitely have also fine-tuned the finishing timelines as well.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby JJR24 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:11 am

Thank you both for the input. Pretty much as I suspected. It is getting harder and harder to justify the price premium on a lot of Diageo's non-standard bottlings. Unfortunately, Lagavulin DE will always hold a special place in the heart, thus the price is almost immaterial in some ways.

Happy dramming.
JJR24
Bronze Member

Postby whiskgeek » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:57 pm

Prices keep going up, due to demand. Distilleries struggle to meet demand, resulting in either an inferior product (not worth what it used to be), or whisky you can't get your hands on (priced above what it used to be). We consumers are either priced out of the market, or we pay more. I'm trying to stay in the game, but it's doubly difficult, since my tastes are getting more expensive. :?
whiskgeek
Bronze Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder