Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Barley Free?

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Barley Free?

Postby jim13csulb » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:58 pm

Hey there everyone,

New here, but I figured this group of people are the best to help me with my question.

Being allergic to barley is there any whisky or whiskeys that do not contain any barley?

Sorry if this seems like a stupid question but Ive been looking around and havent seemed to be able to find a real answer.

Thanks
jim13csulb

Re: Barley Free?

Postby ChaseLane » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:08 am

You might check into 100% corn whiskey. Beam makes it, as well as some micro-dists. CW is actually pretty smooth in comparison to other US Whiskies.
ChaseLane

Postby Ganga » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:32 am

Not sure that anything gets through the distillation process for you to worry about. However, that aside, there are options. Barley is not required for bourbons but may be present. Also Old Potrero does a single malt rye.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby bredman » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:35 am

My immediate thought was Old Potrero. And as already mentioned the 100% corn whiskies. Most whisky does contain malted barley for the enzymes, often 10-20% for that reason alone, so most rye whisky etc. will contain barley malt (rye mashbills of 95% rye are common, and the 5% will usually be barley). Look out for those that state 100% rye or 100% spelt etc.. A huge variety of single grain whiskies are made, however most will be small operations.

I'm not recommending them because i never tried it but here's an example http://www.koval-distillery.com/drink-b ... de-whiskey

There are people out there with barley allergies that can consume malt/barley whisky, maybe there is a safe tolerance level for yourself, you just need to find it. Either way research on most particular whiskies will reveal the mashbill.
bredman
Double Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder