Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Husband's 40th birthday - which whisky to get??

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Husband's 40th birthday - which whisky to get??

Postby RedElaine » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:01 pm

Hi
First time visitor to this site, and I confess, I don't like whisky - I don't even drink! However, my husband loves the stuff and is about to turn 40 so I thought I'd put my teetotal buying habits to one side and purchase him a bottle.

His week to week whisky of choice is Jamesons, but he does have a bottle of Talisker 18 which takes pride of place in the cupboard and is looked at lovingly on many occasions. However, I am buying the whisky as part of a box of 40 things for his 40th birthday so it's can't be as expensive as Talisker 18 which I understand is about £70. I'm looking for something around £35-£40, which is similar to Talisker (whatever year....). I was thinking Lagavulin or Laphroaig. I prefer Lagavulin (because of the design of the bottle if you can believe that) but it's more expensive than Laphroaig and I read on this website that some people don't rate it as much.

Advice needed please........

Elaine
RedElaine

Re: Husband's 40th birthday - which whisky to get??

Postby Ganga » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:33 am

Lagavulin 16 used to be much sweeter. Today it is a much heavier in your face smoke whisky. Still very good, just different.

Similar to Talikser 18. Hmmm. Talisker tends to be more spicey and less smokey than the Islay whiskies like Laphroaig and Lagavulin.

Ardbeg has the 10 and Uigedail respectively. Big oily smoke with some melon fruits underneath.

Caol Ila has the 12, 18 and cask strength versions. Also available in 20 cl bottles so you could maybe get him an assortment if you wanted.

Talisker has a set of 3X20cl bottles: 10 yo, storm and distillers edition.

Kilchoman makes a very bold whisky. Machir Bay would fit in your price range.

Ardmore is a peated whisky but no maritime. Traditional cask is pretty good and is under 30 GBP. Or if you went online to The Whisky Exchange they do a couple of these under "Single Malts of Scotland" which are pretty good.

Good luck.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby RedElaine » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:06 am

Super, thanks. Loads of options there, I'm off to investigate!
Elaine
RedElaine

Postby Ganga » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:41 pm

Good luck and if you can, let us know what you got for him. :thumbsup:
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Gunslinger » Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:54 am

:oops: try the whisky shops you should get a good malt whisky for £ 20. Or so ,gunslinger .
Gunslinger

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder