Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

auction sites

All your whisky related questions answered here.

auction sites

Postby richard » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:15 pm

i see there is a new whisky auction site in edinburgh very close to a whisky shop in rose street ?? :shock:

there seems to many auctions around at the moment and many doing more than the usual two auctions a year
are we being flooded with auctions
and is it good news or bad news :headbang:

richard
richard
Silver Member

Re: auction sites

Postby Ganga » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:21 pm

I wonder how much of an impact EBay's policies have had on the available stock for auctions. Could it be that the flippers have decided to use the auction houses now?

As for good news/bad news, I think that depends on which side of the coin you fall on. What is good for the seller is usually not so good for the buyer (and maybe not for the producer either).
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby jmrl » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:27 am

Hmm, a buddy of mine, who is to be trusted, is just about to start his new auction site this Friday:-

www/whiskyauctioneer.com

If we like buying whisky another source may not be such a bad idea.....
jmrl
Gold Member

Postby cthulhu » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:08 pm

Strangely enough, the recent proliferation of auction sites hasn't resulted in lower prices, so far. Seems that many bid on bottles, just because they think it's worth a certain price, even if they already have it. And it seems they can afford to win multiple times too.
cthulhu

Postby o2o » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:21 pm

Surely it just adds value to the market, increased competition should lower costs etc to customers.

I have been reviewing www.whiskyauctioneer.com and think it is great, I am currently bidding on a number of lots. (1964 Bowmore Trilogy - think i'll remortgage the house as its worth the cost). I am likely to sell a few as they are offering 0% comission to sellers for a short while.
o2o

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder