Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Old Talisker 10 more sherried?

All your whisky related questions answered here.
Related whiskies : Talisker 10 Years Old

Old Talisker 10 more sherried?

Postby Fscott » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:43 am

Happy New Year to all. It has been a long time since my last visit to these boards. (I'm sure my absence has been hard on everybody).

Anyway, I had lunch at my sister-in-law's yesterday and afterwards she broke out a bottle of Talisker 10 that her boss had given her. The box had an 'old nautical' map of Skye and surroundings and mentioned the classic malts on the front and on the back. I was very surprised when I tasted it: a lot of sherry with just a hint of smoke at the end and no distinct Talisker black pepper. It was not a distillers edition, just a seemingly normal 10 yo.

Does anybody have any experience with this bottle? Is it older (it could have potentially been sitting around her office for years)?

Thanks
Fscott

Re: Old Talisker 10 more sherried?

Postby Willie JJ » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:01 pm

This one?

If so then it has been sitting around for some time. This is a 90s bottling as I recall and it is (in my view) possible that it has changed somewhat in the bottle in the course of 15 years or more. I remember it as having a very peppery finish, much more so than Talisker today. I still have one of these somewhere.
Willie JJ
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Fscott » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:28 pm

Bingo!

It's funny about the peppery finish. I was surprised by the lack of that Talisker spice. I have an open bottle of 10yo, so I will compare tonight.

It was a delicious dram, and I certainly won't be turning down an invitation back to their house.

Thanks, Willy JJ.
Fscott

Postby Ganga » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:53 pm

90s bottling indeed and it was quite full of spice including strong pepper notes. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the bottle had changed sitting on an office shelf.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby The Third Dram » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:17 am

The 10-year old Talisker has also been known to be prone to a degree of stylistic variation over the last decade or so, with some writers noting a 'dumbing down' of its more angular flavour aspects (marine-like, smoke and spice) in bottlings from time to time. Though subtle, these muted taste influences could easily further amplify in a bottle that had been sitting around for an extended period of time.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Related whiskies : Talisker 10 Years Old

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder