Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Most similar drop to Johnnie Walker Green?

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Most similar drop to Johnnie Walker Green?

Postby OJlovedNicole » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:20 pm

Unshaven,
Bloodshot eyes,
sitting in a dark inner city apartment, hidden in the shadows, tears wallowing in my scotch on the rocks, scratching at my temple with a 9mm asking why?

Yes this is how I felt when I resumed the workforce after 6 months off and discovered my favourite drink (partly sentimental, partly good smooth taste) Johnnie Walker GREEN label has been d/c.

I have spent all week calling every dark dank unpopular cellar in Sydney Australia and I have had some luck acquiring a few bottles (possibly the last in Sydney). I shall drink one last time to farewell an old friend, give one to an old afficiando whos dream come true would be to have a bottle on his 65th birthday in 12 months time and savour the other forever as a memento/collectible.

My pertinent question however is;

-What is the closest product to Johnnie Walker Green? Is it Comparable?
-If so, is it better worse in your opinion?

I am a beginner medium whisky buff still learning the ropes.
OJlovedNicole

Re: Most similar drop to Johnnie Walker Green?

Postby The Third Dram » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:38 pm

OJlovedNicole wrote:What is the closest product to Johnnie Walker Green? Is it comparable?

This is a tough one to crack, as JW Green has a very unique flavour profile.

In terms of blended malt Scotches, you might want to try and track down some Poit Dhubh 12 Bliadhna Mac Na Braiche Green Label. It's also bottled at 43%ABV and, like Green Label, shows the presence of Talisker (if not some Islay influence as well) in the mix. It's a little more thickly textured, perhaps, and feels warmer at the close as contrasted to the fresh mint note the Green Label finishes with.

If that touch of peat isn't so critical to your choice, I'd also recomemnd Compass Box The Spice Tree, which (like JW Green) has a healthy dose of Clynelish at its core. It's a delicious whisky.

And if you don't mind expanding your search into the realm of blends, then you may wish to consider Islay Mist 17 Year Old, which melds mainland malt and grain whiskies with a base of vanilla-sweet and smoky (not too much of the latter characteristic, though) Laphroaig.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby OJlovedNicole » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:50 am

Thankyou for your reply, that was very informative and I shall move onto it once my Green and my Aberlour (which im not a huge fan of, tastes acidic) run out.
Are they comparable in price?

I should mention though I haven’t got a sense of smell, was born without one- and I think this affects my taste. So my judgments can be off, and I go by texture a lot.

I am however interested in highly malted whiskeys, blended malts I suppose qualify.

What are the ‘maltiest’ drinks?

Thankyou in advance.
OJlovedNicole

Postby Ganga » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:39 am

Yes, an impaired or lack of smell would change your perspective of everything. Drink what you enjoy, not what we tell you that you should enjoy. I find Speyburn 10 and Glenmo 10 to be very malty.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby The Third Dram » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:26 pm

Two more blended malts worth checking out then:

1. Compass Box Oak Cross (very pleasurable and goes down oh so easily)
2. Douglas Laing Big Peat (all-Islay blend with loads of peat, naturally)
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder