Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

How balanced is Laphroaig 18?

All your whisky related questions answered here.
Related whiskies : Laphroaig 18 Years Old

How balanced is Laphroaig 18?

Postby LovePeat » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:34 pm

Is Laphroaig 18 very balanced in the terms of smokiness, peatness and seaweedness?
LovePeat

Re: How balanced is Laphroaig 18?

Postby Ganga » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:54 am

First, welcome. You ask an interesting question. I will go revisit my bottle.

From memory, the peat has become relaxed somewhat. Strong iodine character. Smoke is not as intense as in younger Phroaigs.

Maybe I should just start a Laphroaig tasting thread. :D
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby bredman » Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:16 am

A fine dram.
bredman
Double Gold Member

Postby Willie JJ » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:00 pm

Indeed it is a fine dram. The balance is somewhat subjective, but as Ganga says the 18yo is much more subdued on the phenolic elements.
Willie JJ
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby afifa_afrin » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:13 pm

At bottling strength, some sort of soft brittle special but faintly hot and spicy flavour counterbalances this trace of gentle phenols and fruits. associate all covering smoothness brings these kinds of on. slightly of drinking water permits the protists and salt to come back through but inadequate to overpower this vanilla and baby sweetness with merely a trace of most current cut fodder and matter right at the end.

associate intense depth that exceptionally well-balanced and warming.

Taste: a fast increased temperatures tang of light up fades into sleek floral scents, that blends faultlessly into associate oaky nuttiness and also leaves a permanent sweetness within the fashion. With a little of water, the problem heat fills this mouth but won't overshadow the special chocolate smoothness. this is balanced by this created brittle style and slowly fades in a fragile hint associated with heather and make any difference smoke. :headbang: :P
afifa_afrin

Postby whiskgeek » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:52 am

LovePeat wrote:Is Laphroaig 18 very balanced in the terms of smokiness, peatness and seaweedness?

Are you asking of those three things are balanced with each other, or if they're together balanced with everything else?

Either way, that's kinda hard to answer. I don't get much seaweed, and I don't find Laphroaigs to be very smoky (which is one form of peat) - just the medicinal peat.
whiskgeek
Bronze Member

Postby Evangelion2014 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:07 pm

whiskgeek wrote:
LovePeat wrote:Is Laphroaig 18 very balanced in the terms of smokiness, peatness and seaweedness?

Are you asking of those three things are balanced with each other, or if they're together balanced with everything else?

Either way, that's kinda hard to answer. I don't get much seaweed, and I don't find Laphroaigs to be very smoky (which is one form of peat) - just the medicinal peat.

I get a good bit of smoke from them but I guess it's subjective.

Laphraoig 18 is great. I'd call it moderately peaty, but the peat is just one element of a whole. It starts with a swath of salty brine, then moves into oranges and oaky chocolate with an undercurrent of sweet peat smoke.
Evangelion2014

Postby Ganga » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:30 pm

and band aids.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby mahbub » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:11 am

the Laphroaig eighteen years old(neat) contains a rather sturdy, peaty nose, with vanilla, some wood and bananas, but has ,eventhough, conjointly a briny and seaweedy note, moreover as some honey. this is often all terribly engaging and at identical time exceptional too! (With water) the majority identical, except a lot of briny and smoky, even a iodine smell.
The roof of the mouth is nicely thick, dry, woody, with some refined notes of apricots and apples.(With water)More fruity, leading to a electric sander style and smokier. The end is salty, smoky and sweetyish. I significantly enjoyed this dram, however do like the fifteen yo!

Thanks
mahbub

Related whiskies : Laphroaig 18 Years Old

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder