Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Storing in Refrigerator?

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Storing in Refrigerator?

Postby legomyego » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:57 pm

I had a bottle of glenmarangie 10yt Original most recently and the temerature was getting too hot in my room IMO for it to store..I didn't have it in there too long...maybe a week =/ anyways (I know..probably too long)...i moved it to the fridge overnight...rest of time. When I took it out and let it warm up a bit (not too much) it tasted much better this way. Is it ok to store my whiskey in a fridge with no light in it? Also does over heated whiskey lose any taste notes? Or make the alcohol more apparent?
legomyego

Re: Storing in Refrigerator?

Postby LovePeat » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:08 pm

Well what I know is that room temperature whisky is much more flavourful than a colder one. The colder the whisky, the more its flavour is masked. And a too hot whisky is 'probably' not so good, but I'm not sure.

But whisky is best tasting at room temperature than colder, and since Glenmorangie is an single malt scotch, it is best served at room temperature, and there would be no point paying extra for an single malt if you're going to drink it colder than room temperature.
LovePeat

Postby bredman » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:16 am

Best stored at room temperature and kept consistent if possible.

legomyego wrote: Also does over heated whiskey lose any taste notes? Or make the alcohol more apparent?

Depends what you mean by overheated. I don't think the typical temperatures to be found in a habited building would effect a whisky so don't worry.

legomyego wrote: Is it ok to store my whiskey in a fridge with no light in it?

Doesn't the light go off when you close the door? :P
bredman
Double Gold Member

Postby The Third Dram » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:04 pm

LovePeat wrote:The colder the whisky, the more its flavour is masked.

To be more exact, I find that the flavour of a colder whisky is 'selectively masked' when compared to the same spirit served at around room temperature. More subtle notes (both aromatically and flavour-wise) will be suppressed. However, primary characteristics (such as prominent fruit-like tastes and viscosity) can sometimes be selectively highlighted. The same phenomenon can often occur when serving a whisky 'on the rocks'.

In short, if you want to experience the full aromatic and flavour range a whisky has to offer, serving it cold isn't the best idea.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby Willie JJ » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:14 am

legomyego wrote:Is it ok to store my whiskey in a fridge with no light in it?

It's not a problem. Whisky can't read.

It sounds like you are in a very warm place. How hot does it get?
Willie JJ
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby whiskgeek » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:32 am

Big temperature changes are probably worse for it than consistent high temperatures.
whiskgeek
Bronze Member

Postby legomyego » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:11 am

Well it gets about 80 degrees (guestimation) in my room just due to the amount of electronics i have powered, and I thought maybe that would be too hot...and seemed like it was affecting the flavor? I like to drink it at room temperature but at a certain point where it gets past maybe (around 80 i would guess) the alcohol starts to come out more and more. I don't like it right out the fridge, it tastes muted and boring. I finished off that bottle in the fridge and just let it warm in my room for awhile before I drink it.

Also the fridge in question is one of those mini fridges that has no light.

Maybe I should just keep it in another room....not sure. :coffee:
legomyego

Postby Willie JJ » Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:44 pm

Just keep it in another room. 80 is not generally too hot, but if it's too hot for you then try to keep it somewhere a little cooler
Willie JJ
Cask Strength Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder