Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

18 year old islays to try?

All your whisky related questions answered here.

18 year old islays to try?

Postby LovePeat » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:13 pm

I've had Laphroaig 18 so far, and would like to know what other 18 year islays to go for.
LovePeat

Re: 18 year old islays to try?

Postby bredman » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:50 am

That's quite specific :) . Whether your motive is for a peaty whisky at that age or if it's more specifically for an Islay whisky at that age, there are just a few options.

Caol Ila release an 18yo at a similar price point and is peated.

Bunnahabhain also bottle an 18yo, slightly cheaper but unpeated and at 46.3%.

Bowmore bottle an 18yo at a similar price point to Laph 18 and is also peated. The old Bowmore 17 can still be found on shelves (it was replaced by the 18yo).

Then there is Bruichladdich. Their core range is a mess and i've no idea if they currently bottling an 18yo. They probably are bottling one or more, plus allsorts around that age. It will be unpeated and possibly wine cask finished.

Lagavulin only bottle a 12, 16, and 21yo. The 16 is readily available. The other standard bottling they do is the Distillers Edition which are also 16yo. All peated.

Due to a period of mothballing Ardbeg doesn't have an 18yo right now, but a few years ago they did bottle the Airigh Nam Beist in 2006 through to 2008. The vintage was 1990 so they are either 16, 17, or 18yo. Good luck finding one though, but they are out there at the right price (and a favourite whisky of mine).

The last distiller -- Kilchoman will probably be releasing an 18yo as soon as they can, in about 12 years time. :D

Another Island distiller that produces good peated whisky, and not a million miles from Islay is Talisker (on Skye). Talisker bottle a fine 18yo.

I hope this helps.

Phew :smoke: .
bredman
Double Gold Member

Postby bredman » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:05 am

Ooops forgot to add. I find the Laphroaig 18 jolly good and some of those above not quite in the same league. The Caol Ila and the Bowmore are ok whiskies but not memorable. The Bunna 18 (which is unpeated) is great and very popular, as is the Talisker 18.

LovePeat, why so specific on age? The Laga 12, Ardbeg 10 and Uigeadail, and a few other younger Islays are top notch.

Also, where are you located?
bredman
Double Gold Member

Postby LovePeat » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:38 am

bredman wrote:Ooops forgot to add. I find the Laphroaig 18 jolly good and some of those above not quite in the same league. The Caol Ila and the Bowmore are ok whiskies but not memorable. The Bunna 18 (which is unpeated) is great and very popular, as is the Talisker 18.

LovePeat, why so specific on age? The Laga 12, Ardbeg 10 and Uigeadail, and a few other younger Islays are top notch.

The reason I'm specific on age is that flavours seems to be more balanced than their younger counterparts, and older ones have less rough edges. The Ardbeg Uigeadail is the second best dram I've had because it has some depth and character of tar, raisins, slight coffee and sherry.

I'm located in Glasgow, which is Scotland of course.
LovePeat

Postby LovePeat » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:41 am

bredman wrote:Ooops forgot to add. I find the Laphroaig 18 jolly good and some of those above not quite in the same league. The Caol Ila and the Bowmore are ok whiskies but not memorable. The Bunna 18 (which is unpeated) is great and very popular, as is the Talisker 18.

Forgot to ask, is Laphroaig 18 one of best Islays?
LovePeat

Postby The Third Dram » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:07 pm

bredman wrote:Talisker bottle a fine 18yo.

Very fine, in my opinion. :thumbsup:
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby Willie JJ » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:00 am

bredman wrote:not a million miles from Islay is Talisker

Which distilleries are a million miles from Islay? :D

Bunna 18 is great (but not peaty)
Caol Ila 18 has got better in my opinion
Laph 18 is excellent whisky
Bowmore is the least of them I think

All that said, buy the Tali 18. It's fab.
Willie JJ
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby bredman » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:41 am

Willie JJ wrote:
bredman wrote:not a million miles from Islay is Talisker

Which distilleries are a million miles from Islay? :D

As the crow flies, errrm ... :lol:
bredman
Double Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder