Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Clearing my palate..

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Clearing my palate..

Postby scotchlover » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:34 am

Hello,

I have kind of an odd issue sometimes in that if I have a dram at the end of some days, the taste is very off compared to other times with the same whisky. It almost tastes like I have just brushed my teeth with mint toothepaste and then had a sip. Most of the time I don't have this problem, but when it occurs I can't seem to do anything about it. I have tried drinking water, eating soda crackers, etc. with no solution.

Curious if anyone else experiences this?

Thanks!
scotchlover

Re: Clearing my palate..

Postby bredman » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:46 am

All of us. Over time as the palate develops it will occur less often. Many things can affect the palate, what you've consumed through the day for example, or if you wear too much cologne, hairspray, or perfume. :D
bredman
Double Gold Member

Postby The Third Dram » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:15 am

What can also happen is that one's olfactory glands retain certain sensations, which then initiate a carry-over effect to the flavours one thinks one is currently tasting. And this residual phenomenon can occur many hours after having nosed various scents unrelated to anything one is tasting at the present moment.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby scotchlover » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:42 am

The Third Dram wrote:What can also happen is that one's olfactory glands retain certain sensations, which then initiate a carry-over effect to the flavours one thinks one is currently tasting. And this residual phenomenon can occur many hours after having nosed various scents unrelated to anything one is tasting at the present moment.

Didn't even think of that being so focused on the taste buds. Makes total sense though. Maybe some nasal mist to clear out the nose next time..
scotchlover

Postby The Third Dram » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:49 pm

Or a good ½-hour or more of outdoor fresh air. :thumbsup:
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:40 pm

Or move to a colder climate. :D I've honestly never run into anything similar living up here. Maybe it's just luck.

I would go along with the half hour of fresh air as well as drinking a glass or two of water to cleanse the tastebuds. In the past, at some of our tastings, we've experimented with inhaling through our noses over a glass of water, before drinking said water. It seemed to assist in cleansing the palate and olfactory organ a bit better than just drinking the water.

Musky
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder