Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Thickest Syrupy Whiskey

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Thickest Syrupy Whiskey

Postby davidkruyer » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:20 pm

Please advise most thickest tasting syrupy Malt Whiskey!
Up to value $300 US.

Thank you.
davidkruyer

Re: Thickest Syrupy Whiskey

Postby Ganga » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:56 pm

My suggestion is look for a heavy first fill sherry. Some of the old Glen Grants from the sherry casks get a nice syrupy quality. Macallan from olorosso sherry is very good but gets pricey quickly.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby davidkruyer » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:58 am

Hi Ganga,

Thank you for your recommendation, I will try to source this as I have my doubts that this will be available in Cape Town South Africa. Any further suggestions with Bourbon or Sour Mash Whiskey..??

Regards,

david.
davidkruyer

Postby The Third Dram » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:57 pm

Ganga wrote:My suggestion is look for a heavy first fill sherry.

If it's malt you're after, Ganga's recommendation is spot-on. I'd simply add that you can increase the extractive quotient by concentrating on cask strength releases (Macallan Cask Strength and Glenfarclas 105 are but two not overly expensive examples of this). Greater age can also bring greater textural richness. In this vein, I've tasted very old Glen Grant and Glen Garioch, both of which were truly syrupy.

I think you're right to inquire about Bourbon, as many examples that display the quality you're looking for can be had for substantially less cash... Blanton's Single Barrel, Booker's, Knob Creek, Ridgemont Reserve and Pappy Van Winkle Family Reserve would fill the bill nicely. If money is no consideration (and depending on availability, of course), George T. Stagg is an obvious choice.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:00 am

Thanks TDD. I have to agree with the choices of bourbons. I can't think of too many Tennessee whiskies that I believe are syrupy.

Other heavy sherry (cask strength preferable) include Glendronachs more recent offerings and Aberlour a'bunadh.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby davidkruyer » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:34 am

Very much obliged, thank you and regards, from Cape Town South Africa.

I found the Macallan matured in Sherry barrels from Jezel in Spain, barrels soaked in Sherry for two years before being shipped to Scotland!

I paid $ 150 US, won't blast the week! I will try source the Bourbons you recommend.

Cheers to your good health!!
davidkruyer

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder