Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Hi I'm the new person

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Hi I'm the new person

Postby jezca » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:53 am

Hi,

I'm new to this site. I'm new to whiskeys too. I am a bar manager and have enough knowledge to talk to people about our (very tiny) range of whiskeys but I want to know more...I have been researching, talking to whiskey lovers and tasting (my favorite part) for the past few months.

So I found this site and figured if I have any questions about whiskeys I could come here and discuss with people who might know a thing or two and gain some more knowledge.

One thing I've been wanting to know, for a while now, is how old is Smokehead!!!??? I've been looking and looking and I can't find a thing about it... I've been to the 'official website' but still nothing...? Is it young? I've read people say it's a 7yo then I've read that it's 5...wouldn't have a clue and bearing in mind, I live in New Zealand so I've only become aware of the stuff in the last few years so if I'm dragging up an old conversation that's already been done to death I'm sorry...if I've asked some dumb questions, again, sorry...like I said NEW :)

Also...can anyone fill me in on 'quarter cask' I just ordered a bottle in. I've read a bit about it, I understand the concept but what do people think of it...??

Thanks for taking the time to read this...
Jez
jezca

Re: Hi I'm the new person

Postby Ganga » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:25 am

There is no age statement for the Smokehead. Even if you got a rep to tell you an age it may be different in a subsequent batch. I would suggest that the youngest whisky in Smokehead would be between 5 and 8 yo, depending upon the particular batch.

Quarter Cask from Laphroaig is a whisky that they've finished in a quarter cask, a much smaller cask that imparts more wood influence in a shorter period of time. This is because there is a greater surface area (wood contact) to volume ratio. I had a discussion with a rep one time and he said that they vat a bunch of different ages, typically between 6 and 13 yo but not necessarily limited to that. QC is a bunch of peoples favorite Laphroaig.

Hope this helps a little
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby jezca » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:38 am

Thank you, it does. I understood the process of QC with the smaller cask, whiskey to wood ratio, usage of younger whiskeys, etc but I wasn't sure how popular it was.

I'm really excited about it because it's a new one for me to try :D I quite like the smokehead and it's been quite popular. We also have a few of the Macleods range just the 8YO Island, Islay, Speyside, Lowland and Highland...seems to be a big seller and I was told that although it's young in whiskeys it's still a really good buy...

Any suggestions as to a good Irish whiskey? We have a few scottish whiskeys but I'm not familiar with Irish.

jezca

Postby Willie JJ » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:26 pm

Ganga wrote:There is no age statement for the Smokehead. Even if you got a rep to tell you an age it may be different in a subsequent batch. I would suggest that the youngest whisky in Smokehead would be between 5 and 8 yo, depending upon the particular batch.

QC is a bunch of peoples favorite Laphroaig.

I agree with this.
Willie JJ
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby whiskgeek » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:31 am

Of the basic four Laphroaigs - the 10y, 18y, Quarter Cask, and Triple Wood - it seems just about everyone likes the 10 less than the other three. But people don't agree one which one is their favorite.
whiskgeek
Bronze Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:26 am

Willie JJ wrote:
Ganga wrote:There is no age statement for the Smokehead. Even if you got a rep to tell you an age it may be different in a subsequent batch. I would suggest that the youngest whisky in Smokehead would be between 5 and 8 yo, depending upon the particular batch.

QC is a bunch of peoples favorite Laphroaig.

I agree with this.

When I was researching my collection to put it into a spreadsheet, I found a reference to Smokehead as possibly being an 8 yr old "Ardbeg". Of course, now I can't find the origin of the reference now, so it's supposition at best.
As for Quartercask, I acquired it shortly after it's release, from a buddy that went over the pond and brought me one back before it hit our shores through normal channels. It was a lighter version, to me, of the original Lappy and a pleasant divergence from the original. Now, it's replaced the Laphroaig 10 shelf position at the local LCBO and I have to special order the original. Personally I prefer the old standard and consider quarter cask to be a clever marketing ploy at best.
But then, Musky can sometimes be a bit crusty about change, especially when it affects one of his drams of preference.

Muskrat Portage
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder