Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Do you ever mix different whiskies?

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Do you ever mix different whiskies?

Postby Matagalpa » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:48 pm

After reading many recommendations on the web I recently purchased a bottle of Ardbeg 10 single malt. To my disappointment, this whisky is so peaty that I simply can't enjoy it on its own. I then decided to try something which many people would probably consider as blasphemy - mix it with a basic whiskey that has little character of its own, in this case Ballantine's Finest (as in Cheapest). I mixed 1 part Ardbeg with 4 parts Ballantine's. The resulting "blend" is much more drinkable than the Ardbeg and much more complex than the Ballantine's, which leaves me both content and confused. Is such a blend a good idea, or do I just need to learn to love the Ardbeg on its own (if that's possible at all)?
Matagalpa

Re: Do you ever mix different whiskies?

Postby Ganga » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:36 pm

I would say better to find a way to enjoy it. I have made my own blends before and I know several folks that have created their own living bottles (add the last bit of bottles into another one). Some of my "creations" have actually come out better than the contents of either. :thumbsup:

You don't have to learn to love something. Rather, I would say learn what it is you don't like about something. This will allow you to ask questions of others that will get you better results when you are searching for new whiskies to try.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Willie JJ » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:48 pm

I agree. If you are having fun mixing it then go ahead. We only drink it for fun :)
Willie JJ
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby The Third Dram » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:11 am

Matagalpa wrote:Is such a blend a good idea... ?

Your taste buds always come first! :thumbsup:
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby Matagalpa » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:27 am

Thanks everyone for the affirmation :)

BTW, if you happened to try other "home blends" I'd be interested to hear about your experiences...
Matagalpa

Postby The Third Dram » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:52 pm

Matagalpa wrote:BTW, if you happened to try other "home blends" I'd be interested to hear about your experiences...

I've been blending together malt whiskies (and other whiskies as well) for some three decades now... Far too many to recount specific 'recipes' at this time. Suffice it to say one can carry out home blending with as few as two whiskies or as many as one may have at hand for this purpose. The sky's the limit. Just a couple of guiding principles to emphasize:

1. Begin by having a pretty precise idea of what you're trying to achieve before you start mixing things up.
2. Always be aware that whiskies with strong flavour characteristics will, if utilized in equal proportions with more delicately constituted whiskies, overpower the latter.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:41 pm

Matagalpa wrote:Thanks everyone for the affirmation :)

BTW, if you happened to try other "home blends" I'd be interested to hear about your experiences...

I believe if you do a little research on the site there is thread on the topic.
Ganga
Matured cask

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder