Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Whisky glass tasting top

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Whisky glass tasting top

Postby mg428 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:35 pm

I've several Glencairn whiskey glasses without the below product (i.e. tasting top). Do you use this product and does it contribute to the smell, taste etc.?

http://www.kiltswihae.co.uk/glencairn-w ... 5759-p.asp

PS. There are two caveats which may affect your comments:

1) After I pour the whiskey I rest in the glass for about 30 minutes.

2) I will be using the product for not only drinking a single whiskey, but also, from time to time, for comparing different whiskies.
mg428
New member
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:30 pm

Re: Whisky glass tasting top

Postby Ganga » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:34 pm

I don't know that it contributes to the aromas and flavors. However, the little hat will allow you to keep that glass of whisky going. My experience is that the glass will last for days. Last January I poured a glass Wednesday and covered it. Glass was set aside until Saturday and the whisky was still awesome.
Ganga
Matured cask
 
Posts: 24054
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:57 pm
Location: Sylmar, CA

Re: Whisky glass tasting top

Postby mg428 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:17 pm

Ganga wrote:I don't know that it contributes to the aromas and flavors.


According to the product's description "The tasting top is used to enhance the aroma of the whisky". Supposedly it may, but apparently it does not for you.

Ganga wrote:However, the little hat will allow you to keep that glass of whisky going. My experience is that the glass will last for days. Last January I poured a glass Wednesday and covered it. Glass was set aside until Saturday and the whisky was still awesome.


Good to know that. It seems it almost seals the glass.
mg428
New member
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:30 pm

Re: Whisky glass tasting top

Postby Ganga » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:49 pm

The top function to trap the volatized aromatics within the glass instead of mixing with the ambient air and dispersing. I had a glass plate that served the same function.
Ganga
Matured cask
 
Posts: 24054
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:57 pm
Location: Sylmar, CA

Re: Whisky glass tasting top

Postby mg428 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:18 pm

Ganga wrote:The top function to trap the volatized aromatics within the glass instead of mixing with the ambient air and dispersing.


Did you use it every tiime? Do you think it noticeably affects the aroma?
mg428
New member
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:30 pm

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder