Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Does Johnnie Walker Gold label have any value?

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Does Johnnie Walker Gold label have any value?

Postby OJlovedNicole » Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:08 pm

No- not talking about the readily gold label reserve.

But i was in a bottle shop not far from my home today and something caught my eye on the shelf
a Gold label bottle, from my understanding out of production for a year or so.
Retailed at the standard value of gold reserve. Clearly old stock.

My Q is- does this have any collecting value? or is this just too close to gold reserve?
i cant tell on google because the search results bring up reserve info.
OJlovedNicole

Re: Does Johnnie Walker Gold label have any value?

Postby The Third Dram » Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:32 pm

OJlovedNicole wrote:...a Gold label bottle, from my understanding out of production for a year or so...

The 18-year old release, I gather.

There certainly ARE palpable differences between this version and the newer (no age statement) Gold Reserve, such as:

1. The 18-year old (now ostensibly replaced by the atrociously priced - comparatively speaking - Platinum bottling) features a more finely delineated, complex flavour profile that really showcases the Clynelish component.
2. The newer version displays a slightly more syrupy textural quality that, while attractive in the short term, eventually tends to dull the flavour dynamics. Still a good whisky, but not a patch (as far as I'm concerned) on the older release.

Snapping up any remaining bottles of the 18-year old (prior edition) makes some sense if you're partial to its taste parameters. Doing so for collecting purposes is, to my mind, somewhat questionable - especially given the industrial quantities of this whisky Diageo produced down through the years.

In short, buy it if you like it. :thumbsup:
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby OJlovedNicole » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:47 am

Thanks Dram,

So i went back to the shop and saw they had 3 bottles of it, and yes it is the 18 year old variant. I took it down and studied it.

The conundrum i have is i have never actually tasted ANY gold label. I know that it is most definitely of higher quality but how can i say if i like it or not?

If it was to be a future collectable id snap it up. Something i can proudly show off on the cabinet or potentially sell one day.
Will most drinkers even know the difference?
If its solely to drink im not sure 90 bucks is worth my curiosity?

i really dont know? It does however seem like an opportunity. But maybe im tripping balls.
OJlovedNicole

Postby Ganga » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:52 pm

I can see the gold 18 becoming collectible but I think it will take several years for them to appreciate.

As for taste, the gold has a smoky waxiness to it. If you don't like smoke, you won't like this.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Gentleman's Cabinet » Thu May 22, 2014 3:50 am

In the Australian market the gold 18 year is still readily available via parallel importers.

I believe it will be 3-5 years until to you see any growth in value, due to this old stock still being around. In some cases people are selecting the gold label reserve bottles over the the 18y/o because they believe the reserve statement makes it more premium. What a crazy world we live it.

My estimate is that you will receive approx 15% p.a. Growth on your investment for the first 7-10 years then after that, this growth will slow down.

As it was not rare to begin with, these whiskys take a lot longer to appreciate.

Hope this helps

Pete

Www.gentlemanscabinet.com.au
Gentleman's Cabinet

Postby OJlovedNicole » Thu May 22, 2014 8:13 am

Hi Pete,
I like your style.
Went to your website however everything is blank?
OJlovedNicole

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder