Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Isley sold to blenders

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Isley sold to blenders

Postby BryanatPPi2 » Sun May 04, 2014 3:42 am

Does anyone know what percentage of Islay is sold to blenders, and not the public consumer?
BryanatPPi2
New member
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun May 04, 2014 3:35 am

Re: Isley sold to blenders

Postby mg428 » Wed May 14, 2014 5:58 pm

AFAIK, the malt whisky component of blended whiskies almost always come from the Speyside region.

I would assume Islay malts are too peaty to be used in blended whiskies. Nonetheless if someone more knowledgeable may chim in, that would be greatly appreciated.
mg428
New member
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:30 pm

Re: Isley sold to blenders

Postby Ganga » Wed May 14, 2014 8:52 pm

Each blend is different. The malt component may be all or none from Islay.

However, the question is how much of Islay malt whisky is sold to the blenders and not how much is in the blend. It is my understanding that roughly 93% is sold to blenders leaving about 7% in single malts and blended malts. I am sure these numbers vary some.

Of note, Bruichladdich did not sell to blenders upon reopening in 2001. However, I do not know whether this policy will continue under the new ownership.
Ganga
Matured cask
 
Posts: 24284
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:57 pm
Location: Sylmar, CA

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder