Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

New To The Drink

All your whisky related questions answered here.

New To The Drink

Postby jtp1389 » Wed May 21, 2014 4:00 am

My first foray into the whiskey field was Jim Beam 7 Year. It was awful. It smelled like it tasted, and it smelled like some sort of chemical cleaning solvent.

I just want to find a whiskey that isn't a "get ya drunk fast" type of drink. I'd like to find a smooth, slow sipper that doesn't burn. Beam's website said the 7 Year has a carmel and vanilla taste. I didn't find that to be at all true. Is there anything that would have a smooth vanila taste that isn't harsh? I'm not a drinker anyways, but I would like to sit on the porch with a country record and a little whiskey.

Any suggestions for a weak taste budded rookie? Something cheaper and widely available, hopefully.

Thanks a lot
jtp1389

Re: New To The Drink

Postby Ganga » Wed May 21, 2014 6:12 pm

First, if you don't have whisky often it can be a "get you drunk quick" thing. I find that true when I don't have any for extended periods of time and I have been having whisky for over 20 years.

Bourbons will typically will have some kind of vanilla component. I find that Ridgemont Reserve 1792 is a very tasty (vanilla/caramel) and smooth bourbon. Woodford Reserve is also similar though it might be a little sweeter.

You can also find this in the bourbon casked scotch whiskies. Royal Lochnagar in single cask bottlings is a sweet sipper with plenty of creamy vanilla.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby jtp1389 » Thu May 22, 2014 2:06 am

Thank you. Do you know about how much these run for a small bottle? I'd like to stick to something lower priced until I find one I like. It doens't have to be "cheap", but I'd like to get them in small quantities if possible.
jtp1389

Postby The Third Dram » Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:42 pm

Ganga wrote:I find that Ridgemont Reserve 1792 is a very tasty... and smooth bourbon.

Excellent Bourbon for the asking price! :thumbsup:

As for malt Scotch, I'd recommend either the basic Glenmorangie (aged exclusively in first and second-fill ex-Bourbon oak) or (a little sweeter and honeyed) Aberfeldy 12 Year Old.

These whiskies all clock in at around CDN$50-60 in my neck of the woods.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder