Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

A whisky between $100 and $200.

All your whisky related questions answered here.

A whisky between $100 and $200.

Postby Evangelion2014 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:26 pm

So my tax return is coming in eventually, and I'll take the opportunity to go above my usual budget on buying a whisky so I'm looking at whiskys around $100-200 aged 18 years or more. I'm generally thinking of a scotch unless anyone knows a really exceptional bourbon in that range.

So I really like chocolate/coffee and orange notes, along with peat smoke as well as berries, toffee, salt, cereal and nutty notes. I guess general maltiness.

Some of my favorites are Laphroaig 18, knob creek single barrel, eagle rare, ardbeg corryvreckan, glenmorangie quinta ruban and laphroaig cask strength. I know something aged that long won't have a huge smoke influence but I'd like there to be at least a little bit of it; I don't really like really sweet sherry whiskys like macallan 12. Anyone know of a robust whisky with any of the above notes?

I was thinking Glenfarclas 25 and Highland Park 18 for starters.
Evangelion2014

Re: A whisky between $100 and $200.

Postby Ganga » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:29 pm

Glenflarclas is amongst my favorite distilleries. However, they typically don't have the smokiness you are looking for. HP 18 is very good. You will find heather honey and some wispy smoke.

I do not know where you are located and prices vary a bit. I think Talisker is a very good choice. The 18 features light smoke and spices. Price is just north of $100 here in LA. Talisker 25 is a much better choice but it will be north of $200... :cry: It comes at cask strength.

Going away from Scotland you might try the Nikka 17 or 21. They are both very good.

Just some thoughts and incomplete.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby The Third Dram » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:00 pm

Ganga wrote:HP 18 is very good... I think Talisker is a very good choice. The 18 features light smoke and spices.

Two excellent choices. I'm particularly fond of the 18-year old Talisker, which (to my taste buds) is one of the most complete and well balanced malts out there.

Three additional recommendations:

BenRiach 17 Year Old Septendecim - Essentially a more mature incarnation of the 10-year old Curiositas. This one displays that unique distillery-style smokiness (think bacon on the grill and you won't be too far off the mark), and is quite superb.

Old Pulteney 17 Year Old - Not a lot of smoke here, but the combination of seaside characteristics (refreshing, invigorating brine) and butterscotch richness really works.

Springbank 12 Year Old Cask Strength - A more industrial smokiness that leans toward fossil fuels, along with the usual, complex distillery mélange of flavours. One to linger over. The 15-year old is a worthy alternative.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:25 pm

Excellent suggestions. Why the OP 17 slipped my mind, I don't know. And I just finished my Springbank 12, 54.6. It had an interesting note of tomatoes (beefsteak).
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Evangelion2014 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:03 am

I don't need smoke per se, "dry" wine aging characteristics will work just fine. Which is why i am considering glenfarclas 25.
Evangelion2014

Postby The Third Dram » Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:10 pm

Evangelion2014 wrote:Which is why i am considering glenfarclas 25.

A beautiful whisky... No doubt. However, it's one that is SO well balanced in terms of flavour development that it "slips down a treat" (goodness, I love this Wallace Milroy phrase!), and can easily underimpress if one doesn't take the time to fully appreciate its subtleties. That said, Glenfarclas 25 Year Old remains one of the most fairly priced and delightful malts in that particular age bracket.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder