Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Open bottle for how long?

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Open bottle for how long?

Postby alikamal77 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:46 am

Hi, how long can an opened bottle of scotch be kept for? I store it in a cupboard at room temp. What happens if the opened bottle is stored for a really long time? Say 5 years or something? Thanks in advance for your insights!
alikamal77

Re: Open bottle for how long?

Postby Ganga » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:59 pm

There exists varying opinions on this. If you do a little research, you will see that there is at least one thread discussing this topic.

I have had bottles open for more than 7 years, some of which had a finger or less at the bottom for over a year. The big deal is the amount of air exposure. Corks will go bad and allow air to move to and from the bottle. There are a few ways of minimizing this. I know folks that get the equivalent of shrink wrap and others that use electrical tape around the cork.
Ganga
Matured cask

Re: Open bottle for how long?

Postby Muskrat Portage » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:18 am

Ganga:
Also they make inert gas that is sold in wine stores which you squirt into the bottle and then rapidly cork it. I have some and neglected to use it on a wonderful HP that I owned. It ended up tasting like sour branch water, not pretty and sadly I had the wherewithal to save it.

Lesson learned? Not really. I still haven't tried it on any bottles to date.

Musky
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder