Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Open bottle for how long?

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Open bottle for how long?

Postby alikamal77 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:46 am

Hi, how long can an opened bottle of scotch be kept for? I store it in a cupboard at room temp. What happens if the opened bottle is stored for a really long time? Say 5 years or something? Thanks in advance for your insights!
alikamal77

Re: Open bottle for how long?

Postby Ganga » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:59 pm

There exists varying opinions on this. If you do a little research, you will see that there is at least one thread discussing this topic.

I have had bottles open for more than 7 years, some of which had a finger or less at the bottom for over a year. The big deal is the amount of air exposure. Corks will go bad and allow air to move to and from the bottle. There are a few ways of minimizing this. I know folks that get the equivalent of shrink wrap and others that use electrical tape around the cork.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Muskrat Portage » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:18 am

Ganga:
Also they make inert gas that is sold in wine stores which you squirt into the bottle and then rapidly cork it. I have some and neglected to use it on a wonderful HP that I owned. It ended up tasting like sour branch water, not pretty and sadly I had the wherewithal to save it.

Lesson learned? Not really. I still haven't tried it on any bottles to date.

Musky
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Maddogpwa_1 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:54 am

Hey there I've read that once your bottle is below a third it's best to consume it quickly. But in just doing google searches I've read everything from 3 months up to 9 months.
I'm no expert but in my experience I haven't had an issue I keep my whisky in a wall unit that I use as a liquor cabinet it has thin glass doors. I'm in a fairly large room but I have pretty sweet fan forced wall heater that is pumping in my room most of the time. I'm mentioning that cause I would assume a warm room might speed the issues up. I purchased a bottle of yamazaki 25 about 2 years ago and have consumed it slowly one glass every now and then the bottle is down to about half of a quarter. I had a 30 ml glass last week still tastes great so I don't know if it's the same for every bottle my bottle was screw top so again all this stuff might effect it
Maddogpwa_1

Postby Ganga » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:59 am

I've kept bottles that were down to a finger or two for more than 2 years. It comes down to how often you open/close the bottle.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby The Third Dram » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:16 pm

Ganga wrote:The big deal is the amount of air exposure... There are a few ways of minimizing this.

An alternative method is (as I often practice) to keep a collection of smaller empty bottles on hand (i.e. 50ml, 100ml, 200ml, etc.) into which you can transfer the remnants of larger bottles for 'safe-keeping'. This tact has two benefits:

1. Less ultimate air exposure over the mid to long-term.
2. The ability to assemble a 'library' of past purchases to which you can return later on.

Of course, some 'aeration' will occur during the transfer process. But this is basically equal to what would take place when pouring a dram from the original bottle.

As always, you need to ensure that the seals on the smaller bottles (whether cork or screwcap) aren't compromised.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder