Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Glen Parker??

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Glen Parker??

Postby Scotty Mc » Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:58 pm

I acquired a bottle of Glen Parker a few weeks ago, however I've never heard of this 'malt' It is an unaged spirit with no clues as to where it was distilled.

Any info?
Scotty Mc
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:38 pm

Found the following list of "Alias Drams" at http://www.smwhisky.com. Alas, it does not answer your question, but I post it here as an aside to it. I wouldn't take it as gospel--these things change, depending on what the bottler can get cheap, and I'll bet that Glen Parker is an anything-goes malt. I look askance at "Glen Nowhere" labels like this, as I think they are misleading to less knowledgeable consumers, being packaged to look like distillery offerings from distilleries that don't exist.

Sorry it's a bit tough to read--no frames.

Alias Dram Distillery
Ardnave Bruichladdich
An Cnoc Knockdhu
Blairfindy Glenfarclas
Braeval Braes of Glenlivet
Craigduff Strathisla
Credible Cragganmore
Deerstalker Balmenach
Drumguish Speyside
Dun Bheagan Lagavulin
Finlaggan Lagavulin Caol Ila
Glencraig Glenburgie
Glen Deveron Macduff
Glen Flagler Moffett
Glenisla Glen Keith
Glen Parker ?
Glentromie Speyside
Glen Whatever a generic blending malt bottled as a single
Inchmurrin Loch Lomond
(The) Ileach Lagavulin
Hazelburn Springbank
Laudable Lagavulin
Leapfrog Laphroaig
Ledaig Tobermoray
Lismore Glenrothes 5 yo
Loch Dhu Mannochmore
Loch Indaal Bruichladdich
Longrow Springbank
MacTarnahan's Glenfarclas
McClelland's Lowland Auchentoshan 5 yo
McClelland's Highland Glen Garioch 5 yo
McClelland's Islay Bowmore 5 yo
Mosstowie Miltonduff
Octomore Bruichladdich
Old Man of Hoy Highland Park
Rhosdhu Loch Lomand
Port Charlotte Bruichladdich
Prime Malt No 1
(15 yo Islay) Bunnahabhain (current) Laphroaig (late 70s) Port Ellen ?
Signatory Island Highland Park 7 yo
Signatory Islay Laphroaig 5 yo?
Lagavulin 5 yo?
Signatory Mull Tobermoray
Signatory Speyside Glen Moray 8 yo Longmorn 8 yo Glenrothes 7,8 yo
Signatory Lowland Auchentoshan
Speymalt Macallan
Tactical Talisker
Tantallan Cragganmore
Deactivated Member

Postby Admiral » Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:37 am

Glen Parker is sold in Australia as a five year old single malt. Which distillery it comes from is unknown, and - as Mr T inferred above - it could change from time to time anyway.

I regret to advise that, in the flavour department, it's not a particularly great whisky. :wink:

Forgive me if I make a slight diversion, but it is related to your post.

My tasting club came up against a Glen Parker a while ago. We concluded thus:

What would happen if some poor bugger had only been drinking JW Red (or some other respectable blend) all his life, and then someone told him, "Go out and buy a malt - they're so much better". If that same person came home from the shop with a bottle of Glen Parker under his arm and tried it later that night, he would only conclude that malts are awful, and never be brave enough to try a decent single malt again!

In other words, bottlings such as Glen Parker do not do the malt industry any favours.

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:27 am

Funny you should ask that particular question, Admiral. While poking around trying to find out something about Glen Parker (which, incidentally, is available in my own local packy), I chanced upon a review of Chivas Regal, by someone and on a website both of which I shall leave anonymous. The reviewer (apparently a Canadian) gives it some tepid comment and sums up:

Conclusion: Try it if you are curious, it's not bad, but be aware that there are better choices out there. Spend a few extra dollars and do yourself a favor with Single Malt (Glenfiddich, Glenlivet, Glen Parker). So, in the end 2 stars is what I say.

We can only hope that no one took that bit of advice! (Oops, sorry, Scotty!)
Deactivated Member

Postby kallaskander » Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:45 am

Hi there,

Glen Parker is bottled by James Parker, a subsidary of Angus Dundee. AD is situated in London and gives Glasgow as seat of the company. They have a portfolio with a number of blends as there are The Dundee, Forfars, Cattle Pride, Clan Ben, Highland Legend, Parker´s, Piper´s Clan, Scottish Royal. There are the vatted malts Auchterar and Angus Dundee. They bottle single malts under the name of Montgomerie´s.

And now it gets interesting. In 2000 they bought Tomintoul from Jim Beam Brands.
That does not mean that the Glen Parker is a Tomintoul, because as a blending company Angus Dundee have access to many malts. But it is a clue.

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:06 am

I once bought a bottle of Glen Parker. Suffice to say, this purchase taught me to do some research before buying a bottle. It is probably the worst single I've ever had. Scotty - If you can take it back for an exchange I implore you to do so...

Frodo
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:15 pm

And I will repeat my suggestion that, if the SWA really wanted to do the drinking public a service, it would work to ban the use of the word "Glen" on Scotch labels unless it refers to a specific distillery in a specific place. The Glen Breton ruckus is nothing compared to this, in my mind.

As an aside, when I was first exploring malts, I avoided everything named "Glen" for several years--a subconscious effort to avoid this same problem, of which I was barely subliminally aware.
Deactivated Member

Postby Scotty Mc » Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:23 am

Frodo wrote:I once bought a bottle of Glen Parker. Suffice to say, this purchase taught me to do some research before buying a bottle. It is probably the worst single I've ever had. Scotty - If you can take it back for an exchange I implore you to do so...

Frodo

My brother bought it for me from an airport, however it tastes alright with Cola! :lol:
Scotty Mc
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:09 am

Then all's well that ends well. I might have used it to stain the deck.
Deactivated Member

Postby Scotty Mc » Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:33 pm

I do have a fence that needs painting oe infact....my car needs an oil change. I wonder dif it'll work?! :lol:
Scotty Mc
Silver Member

Postby Frodo » Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:09 pm

Scotty:

Was it that bad?
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder