Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Single malt or vatting or..?

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Postby Admiral » Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:13 pm

I think one "problem" with the Bruichladdich taste might be that it's so subtle. People may expect more of a hit in the face from an Islaywhisky and is thus taken aback somewhat.. well, what do I know?

You know plenty! :)

I think your comment is probably correct for Joe Public, but I believe everyone contributing to this discussion here is well versed in the concept of "lightly peated" Islay whisky.

Afterall, Bunnahabhain has been widely available for a long time, and we here all know that if a malt was made on Islay, it doesn't have to have a peat bonfire in the bottle.

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby hpulley » Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:37 pm

Bunnahabhain used to be peated. It is a relatively recent change to lightly peated. When peat was the cheapest way to malt barley, it just made sense to use it.

Both Bruichladdich and Bunnahabhain are subtle islays but they are not subtle in the overall scale of whiskies.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby kallaskander » Fri Sep 02, 2005 5:13 pm

Hi there,

Bunhaabhain changed the peat level and water supply in 1963. I had a rare 1963 spring distilled Bunahabhain at a whisky convention in April this year. It was unbelievable. If they made their malts like that again or at least part of it, the south coast Islays would have stiff competition. I have a medium peated Bunhabhain, 7 year old, from a whisky society in Germanyat home in the moment. It is young but has promise. Great promise.

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Sep 02, 2005 5:30 pm

Bunnahabhain 1963 40yo can still be found on some of the mail order sites. At around £200 a bottle, it is far cheaper than certain 40yo Islays I can think of (Bowmore, Bruichladdich and Laphroaig).

Has anyone tried it?
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:01 pm

Sounds very tempting...alas, way out of my range. I wonder if there's a bottle of it at the Port Charlotte Hotel or the Lochside? Usually when I'm in one of those places, I'm thinking about Caol Ilas and Port Ellens. This might be the year to look into Bunny a little further.
Deactivated Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:16 pm

Hi TH ,
See if either has the 2004 Bunnahabhain festival bottling , The Moine , its a 1997 7yo peated experiment . They are now doing a regular peated run . There should also be a 34yo O.B. floating about on the shelf which was just recently released , a very good sherried Bunny . John was saying that there are still some of the 12yo Port Wood Finish festival bottles available at the distillery , if your out that way !
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:55 pm

Just thought I'd use the opportunity to ask if any any of you have tasted Bunnahabhain 12? I don't think the Bunnahabhain will resurface in too many bars as the other Islay distilleries take up most of the place on the shelves. Is it worth getting or should I go on with my planned purchases?
The reason for asking is its recent availability in Norway.

Skål!
Christian
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Sat Sep 03, 2005 12:45 am

The regular Bunny 12 is a fine dram - wonderfully enjoyable, soft, and surprisingly complex. Some sweetness too!

Buy and enjoy!

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Sat Sep 03, 2005 1:37 am

Yes, I echo the comments on Bunnahabhain, it's a good dram. I've had some great drams from the SMWS which just goes to show that a distilleries potential is usually hidden. The 12 is hard to come by in this part of the world but maybe that will change soon.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby hpulley » Sat Sep 03, 2005 1:46 am

I enjoy the 12yo Bunny and it is cheap too. I should have got a case last time it was here as now I've been Bunnyless for some time...

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Sat Sep 03, 2005 1:48 am

I've been Bunnyless for some time...

There's a joke in there somewhere, it's the type of comment that takes a thread rapidly off topic.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby hpulley » Sat Sep 03, 2005 1:51 am

Indeed! I have a yard full of wild 'bunny' rabbits. With my marital status the last sort of Bunny would not be helpful at this time... I am, however, out of Bunnahabhain; that much is for certain.

Edit: there is a Bunny at the LCBO but it is the Dun Bheagan Manzanilla Finish and I feel the sherry would overwhelm the young Bunny. If I get really desperate, I may chance a bottle.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sat Sep 03, 2005 5:49 am

Great - thanks for your opinions!

Skål!
Christian
Mr Fjeld

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:23 am

I'm afraid I have found the standard bottling (is it 12?) rather less interesting than its name (Bun na h-abhann - foot of the river). I had a bottle once that took about three years to finish. I have wanted to like it - really tried - but I find it the least interesting of the Islays.

I could believe, though, that older expressions are more interesting - especially the pre63 peaty ones. I shall look out for Moine.
Deactivated Member

Postby Admiral » Tue Sep 06, 2005 4:24 am

Hows this....I was at a tasting once where a whisky was served blind.

The tasting panel consisted of very experienced and knowledgeable palates. Two of the panel thought the whisky was Macallan 12yo. I thought it was Cardhu 12.

It turned out to be Bunnahabhain 12yo !!

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby kallaskander » Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:25 am

Hi there,

very suitable for me Admiral. Bunnahabhain 12 years as I know it could very well pass as a Speyside malt with hints of coastal influences.

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:52 pm

Nick Brown wrote:I'm afraid I have found the standard bottling (is it 12?) rather less interesting than its name (Bun na h-abhann - foot of the river). I had a bottle once that took about three years to finish. I have wanted to like it - really tried - but I find it the least interesting of the Islays.

:shock: At last! Praise (however faint or lefthanded) for Bruichladdich! :wink:
Deactivated Member

Postby Admiral » Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:25 am

Er....wasn't he referring to Bunnahabhain? :)
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby hpulley » Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:37 pm

Admiral wrote:Er....wasn't he referring to Bunnahabhain? :)

He said it was, "the least interesting of islays," so Bruichladdich must be at worst, "the second-least interesting of islays," which is the lefthanded praise of which he spoke ;)

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:00 pm

Shame Bunnahabhain means Mouth of the river in gaelic........
(Damn you mr picky......)
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:41 pm

Spirit of Islay wrote:Shame Bunnahabhain means Mouth of the river in gaelic........

and this from Nick:

rather less interesting than its name (Bun na h-abhann - foot of the river).

.....I remember a thread where we talked about "putting the foot in the mouth" and footnotes :P

Skål!
Christian
Mr Fjeld

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:05 am

Spirit of Islay wrote:Shame Bunnahabhain means Mouth of the river in gaelic........

It only means mouth of the river in a figurative rather than a literal sense. "Bun" means bottom (as in low down) or foot, root, etc. It doesn't literally mean mouth.

Mr Picky should try to amass his knowledge of Gaelic from dictionaries rather than whisky bottles, methinks. A more reliable source by far.
Deactivated Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:52 pm

Nick Brown wrote:Mr Picky should try to amass his knowledge of Gaelic from dictionaries rather than whisky bottles, methinks. A more reliable source by far.

Ooh !!!!!
Actually not from whisky bottles but from people i know on Islay because books can be wrong as well you know !
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Sep 10, 2005 3:49 am

:x Hey! Mr Picky had nothing to do with this. He tries very hard (not always successfully) to refrain from speaking about things he knows nothing about (unlike Mr TattieHeid). He knows a bit about the English language, but next to nothing about Gaelic.
Deactivated Member

Previous

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder