Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Do you ever get drunk?

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Postby bjorn » Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:08 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:Again, I think a highway patrolman with a breathylizer will have a different definition of "drunk" from many of us. In fact, I wonder if we perhaps have different definitions among us.

this is a good point. a few quiet drinks with friends to one is 'binge drinking' to another.

-bjorn
bjorn
Bronze Member

Postby MGillespie » Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:47 am

True...unless the "few quiet drinks" involves nudity, dancing on tabletops, or projectile vomiting...it's not "binge drinking".

Mark
Last edited by MGillespie on Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby Elliot » Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:29 am

MGillespie wrote:True...unless the "few quiet drinks" involves nudity, dancing on tabletops, or projectile vomiting...then it's not "binge drinking".

Mark

Projectile vomiting is hardly quiet.

Elliot
Elliot
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:12 am

Elliot wrote:
nicholtl wrote:
hpulley wrote:...praying to the porcelain god?
Harry

Ahh, He and I have a very close relationship indeed...

Vomiting? Of course not. I'm just genuflecting.

Praying to "St Eliot". (Read it backwards.)
Deactivated Member

Postby nicholtl » Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:37 am

MGillespie wrote:True...unless the "few quiet drinks" involves nudity, dancing on tabletops, or projectile vomiting...it's not "binge drinking".

Mark

Hey, why didn't you tell me you were at my friend's birthday party!
nicholtl
Bronze Member

Postby MGillespie » Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:19 am

Ummmm...I didn't remember I was there? ;)

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby Gordo » Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:25 pm

Last year on a sales trip I purchased a 375ml of Glenlivet 12yo and had a few drams of an evening in the hotel. While I didn't get standupwalkintothewallfalldowndrunk, I did notice a serious lack of quality in the flies that I was trying to ty. I try to avoid over doing it as I also have had to go through a few days of silence from a significant other, but I do like the to get the occasional glow on.
Gordo

Postby MGillespie » Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:31 pm

Gee...I usually just notice a serious lack of quality in the fly I'm trying to zip after a few drams... :shock:

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:47 pm

I very, very rarely have enough to get drunk. The only exception is events like "Whisky Live" and "Oddbins Live", where I end up 'newted' not as an aim but rather the result of the desire to sample as many of the rarities as possible.
Deactivated Member

Postby Elliot » Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:14 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:
Elliot wrote:
nicholtl wrote:
hpulley wrote:...praying to the porcelain god?
Harry

Ahh, He and I have a very close relationship indeed...

Vomiting? Of course not. I'm just genuflecting.

Praying to "St Eliot". (Read it backwards.)

I think that answers why my father named me Elliot with two l's. You remind me of my days in elementary school where the trip to school was occupied by spelling our names backwards. :)
Elliot
Bronze Member

Postby greengene13 » Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:18 am

I am reminded of a line in PG Wodehouse which unfortunately for this forum is in regard to ale. A chap who had crossed the line into inebriation was considered "one over eight", where the consumption of 8 pints was considered manageable but any more and one was blotto. I would submit that 8 drams in a short time frame may indeed lead one to invoke the 1 over 8 rule as well.
And almost 40 years ago when I was about to graduate from Naval OCS in Newport, Rhode Island, my roommate and I over toasted our success by trading shots of Paddy's and some god awful tequila. Never again! :oops:
greengene13

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:39 am

I find it interesting that the older participants here are generally ashamed of being drunk, and the younger ones are rather proud of it. I wonder what the cutoff age is.
Deactivated Member

Postby nicholtl » Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:56 am

haahaha how true!!
nicholtl
Bronze Member

Postby Jens » Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:43 pm

Hmm...drunk...I must say last time I got hiddiously knocked out by an evil entity called alcohol is somewhat a year ago. Pretty bad...not to say close to dangerously dumb...ah well, can happen when you have good fun I guess. Mixed up beer and all kind of other alcohol affiliated substances...

Anyway, that's like 3 or 4 times including college, which brings it to a nice average of once every 7 years. Nice frequency huh? ;). Ok true, it was more being waisted than drunk... :D

Getting drunk on whisky though would be a complete spiller and waste to my opinion of the gold 'n shine liquid...and J&B ain't whisky whatever the label says...
Jens

Postby Elliot » Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:51 pm

An average of once every seven years? Being drunk at ages 7 and 14 is hardly something to celebrate! :lol:
Elliot
Bronze Member

Postby Jens » Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:22 pm

Hey, I drank my cranberry sirop straight!!!

:)
Jens

Postby rthomson » Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:31 am

My better half is away this weekend. She left me with a bunch of chores I said I would get done. So, yes, of course I will get drunk :twisted: :twisted: I'm going to eat a buch of cheap potato chips that I know are high in colesterol as well :twisted: :twisted: God, she'll keep me alive for many years beyond what I expected but I make the most (within reason :oops:)of these weekends anyway :lol:
rthomson
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:19 pm

Go Ron go :lol:
Use the cheap stuff though :mrgreen:
Deactivated Member

Postby jeffk » Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:37 pm

Ron, you sound like a man way beyond his years! :)

Sounds like you're going to have a great weekend, party on! 8)
jeffk
Bronze Member

Postby MGillespie » Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:55 am

Go for it, Ron!!!

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby patrick dicaprio » Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:37 am

depends on what you consider drunk. i rarely if ever get to the point where i am not in control, slurring speech etc. not that i have gerat tolerance; i just fall asleep too quickly :(

Pat
patrick dicaprio
Silver Member

Postby Lord_Pfaffin » Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:17 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:I find it interesting that the older participants here are generally ashamed of being drunk, and the younger ones are rather proud of it. I wonder what the cutoff age is.

You know you are old when your knees go out more often than yourself. Point being the older you get the more pain and baggage you carry around.
I find if i drink enough to get by the pain i just pass out drunk. i don't really get slurry speach, can't walk straight and stupid faced.
Oh yeah, after a couple i know that i am over the legal limit and legally bombed and that's a lot of days of the month, i guess that makes me a sot. :lol: :lol:
Lord_Pfaffin
Silver Member

Postby MGillespie » Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:20 am

Lord_Pfaffin wrote:You know you are old when your knees go out more often than yourself.

Man, do I know how that feels...

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Do you ever get drunk?

Postby emondhavi » Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:52 pm

I never anticipated such animated response to my question! It's been quite fun reading the answers. Now I guess it's time I contribute my own:

Anything I drink with ice in it leads me down the drunkenness road. Ice is the great equalizer - it makes everything taste smooth.

Iced drinks have a short "window of opportunity" during which you can still taste the liquor before it turns to water. The result is that I drink anything "on the rocks" quite fast and more frequently than anything "neat", and that's how I get drunk.

Fortunately, I rarely drink anything with ice, therefore, I rarely get drunk.

I drink single malts every night, slowly and sparingly, and never, never even come close to getting drunk; even though over the course of 2 or 3 hours I consume 6 to 8 shots of whisky. I would drink a comparable quantity of anything "on the rocks" in about an hour.

eMondhavi
emondhavi

Postby Lawrence » Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:39 pm

Remember the old truism; you're only an alcoholic if you drink more than your doctor.

Slainte,

Lawrence

:D
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby EdipisReks » Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:48 am

hell, i'm drunk right now. i started out with a couple fingers of aberlour 10 and then a couple fingers of highland park 12, and i've continued with a few sam smith's imperial stouts along with a couple tipples of elmer t. lee single barrel. i'll have my dinner soon, and i'll probaby have a little drambuie afterwards. it's been a long day, so a little drunken repast was called for, i think.
EdipisReks
Bronze Member

Postby Elagabalus » Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:55 am

I dont seem to be able to get drunk anymore. I just get very sleepy now when I've had a few too many. However I have a few too many every night. Perhaps I've built up a certain tolerance. If my objective was to get drunk I am sure I could do it. It would be a waste of whisky though.
Elagabalus
Gold Member

Postby Wave » Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:01 am

I haven't been truely drunk since while I was still married 4 years ago. I don't miss getting drunk nor my ex-wife! :P :lol:

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:01 am

EdipisReks wrote:hell, i'm drunk right now. i started out with a couple fingers of aberlour 10 and then a couple fingers of highland park 12, and i've continued with a few sam smith's imperial stouts along with a couple tipples of elmer t. lee single barrel. i'll have my dinner soon, and i'll probaby have a little drambuie afterwards. it's been a long day, so a little drunken repast was called for, i think.

As noted above:

Mr Tattie Heid wrote:I find it interesting that the older participants here are generally ashamed of being drunk, and the younger ones are rather proud of it. I wonder what the cutoff age is.

As suspected, I see you are 25. :P
Deactivated Member

Postby Thesh » Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:55 am

It's nice to get drunk some times. You can't live all your life just sipping. Yes, I do enjoy sipping a good whisky, but sometimes I feel the need to have a bit more. If I have a long day at work, there is nothing like seven or eight drinks to finish it. If I'm bowling, alcohol can act like a performance enhancing drug.

Normally, of course, sipping and relaxing is enough for me.
Thesh
Bronze Member

Postby Elagabalus » Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:08 am

As an alcoholic, I don't think there is any justification for getting drunk.
If you get *DRUNK* something's amiss.

I also disagree that young people think it's cool to get drunk. I'm 24 and there is nothing cool about getting drunk. The thing is having too many drinks and the crazy antics you get up to while intoxicated leave numerous memorable or immemorable moments on which to reflect fondly (or not so fondly) in later life.

Any idiot with a mouth can get drunk. It's no big accomplishment.
Elagabalus
Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:29 am

Well said.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Thesh » Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:55 am

Elagabalus wrote:As an alcoholic, I don't think there is any justification for getting drunk.
If you get *DRUNK* something's amiss.

I also disagree that young people think it's cool to get drunk. I'm 24 and there is nothing cool about getting drunk. The thing is having too many drinks and the crazy antics you get up to while intoxicated leave numerous memorable or immemorable moments on which to reflect fondly (or not so fondly) in later life.

I'm having flashbacks of "DARE". Dope is for dopes.

Any idiot with a mouth can act like an sophisticate as well. If getting shit faced makes you happy, so be it. Shine on, shine on. Some people can't enjoy sipping something that, to them, tastes like elaphant piss; however, if they swallow it quickly and in large quantities, they enjoy it immensly. It doesn't matter what the morality police say about drinking, to them it is fun, even if they regret it in life. They will argue the exact opposite as others, and be just as convincing. Who is right? Well, to be honest, all sides of the debate are made up of morons. Here endeth the lesson. (I think that is a fitting quote)
Thesh
Bronze Member

Postby Dubois » Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:19 am

Only once,when I was 20 years young,and:not from whisky ! :wink:
Dubois
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Bullie » Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:33 pm

It happens... When you least expect it, it rams you like a stampeding herd of buffalos. :lol:
Bullie
Gold Member

PreviousNext

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder