Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Do you ever get drunk?

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:58 pm

Elagabalus wrote:

Any idiot with a mouth can get drunk.

AnyONE with a mouth.... but only idiots try to get drunk.

Sometimes drunkeness is by product of enjoying convivial company and wonderful spirit. The trade off is the morning after - but the memories can still be pretty good :wink:

And in answer to the question, only about once a year - and I'm trying to cut that back 8)
Deactivated Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:07 pm

As a person from a society that really really enjoys their drink I have no issues with people getting drunk. It's how often they do it or their actions during their drunken state that I judge people on... (judge is a harsh word but I hope you know what I mean)

Getting drunk for the sake of it is not my thing ... however I would never feel guilty going out with friends having a great time and at the end of the night realise oh I'm p!$$ed .....

We all need to break out at times so getting drunk every so often is not an issue and even healthy if you ask me but alcohol does need to be respected at the end of the day.
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Ize » Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:54 pm

Bit odd question, as Tom replies already on the 2nd posting. If I would drink too much, of course I would get drunk? Everybody comes became drunk if they just consume alcohol enough. But let's assume that it wasn't the point.

If the meaning was do I ever have drunk myself into drunkness, the answer would be yes. Even beeing once drunk causes spoil to "ever -factor".

But if I make wider look, when thinking about this Whisky forum, it could be also possible that question was meant to be if I ever get drunk from whisky. Then the answer would be no. To it me it would unnecessary thing to waste good whisky by consuming it a lot. I rather spent my money on few drams of good whisky rather than drinking a lot of bad whisky.

Sorry, I just had to fool around with this. :)
Ize
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:36 pm

Crieftan wrote:Sometimes drunkeness is by product of enjoying convivial company and wonderful spirit. The trade off is the morning after - but the memories can still be pretty good :wink:

:roll:

Not so sure about that last bit....
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:30 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:
Crieftan wrote:Sometimes drunkeness is by product of enjoying convivial company and wonderful spirit. The trade off is the morning after - but the memories can still be pretty good :wink:

:roll:

Not so sure about that last bit....

:lol:

Well, some of them at anyway :D
Deactivated Member

Postby ScotchPalate » Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:28 pm

NO!
Most of my malts and blends cost $60 and more. For that price, I want to remember and enjoy EVERY last drop!

ScotchPalate
ScotchPalate
Bronze Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:21 pm

I become slightly affected by the alcohol when I drink every other friday and saturday. I don't cause any problems to anyone or myself and I can walk and talk without major difficulties. I usually end the drinking session before I become uncomfortable - a result of much trial and error through the years. When young I almost exclusively became drunk, and often did stupid things I still regret. I'm glad that is history.
Last edited by Mr Fjeld on Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr Fjeld

Postby rthomson » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:37 pm

Those younger days were great fun so I can't say that I regret them. I have no interest in returning to those behaviors now but I do have a good session with friends every now and again. If we're at home or have arranged to get ourselves home in a responsible manner I don't see anything wrong with it.

Cheers,
Ron
rthomson
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:08 pm

rthomson wrote:Those younger days were great fun so I can't say that I regret them.

Ah, yes, like that 39th birthday in Plockton...those were the days, weren't they?
Deactivated Member

Postby rthomson » Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:17 pm

Believe me, that 39th (set up the bar with a round, was generally unintelligible other than that) was the "mature" Ron, doesn't compare at all with the "college" Ron :lol:
rthomson
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:25 pm

I seem to recall the loud (and perfectly intelligible) chanting of political slogans!
Deactivated Member

Postby rthomson » Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:42 pm

As I said, a good session every now and again. Particularly enjoyable when on vacation!

I don't want to hijack this thread too much (too late :oops: ) as I do think it's a good question. When I'm with friends I haven't seen in a while it's typical for me to have a few more beers or drams than I normally would. There are some special events for which the same might happen. When the New England Patriots won their first Superbowl it was quite a night for me, that's when it's nice to live across the street from your favorite pub.
rthomson
Silver Member

Postby Paul A Jellis » Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:48 pm

I think I shall start getting drunk on a regular basis, now that smokers have been banned from most social gatherings, the great and the good need someone to look down their noses at, it might as well be me.

Cheers, Paul
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby TheLaddie » Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:03 am

I have got pleasantly merry at a couple of whisky tastings but haven't been really silly drunk for many a year.

Official old boring fart. :cry:
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Postby sgsoloplayer » Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:30 pm

Suppose it's my youthfulness speaking, and the fact that I'm drunk right now, but I like to get a bit drunk on many occasions. Seeing as how I dont have any children, its much easier for me to enjoy a good drunk time. I dont get drunk off of good scotch, however. Sometimes I'll have a dram to get me started or finish me off but I will never go through half a bottle of anything worth savoring.
sgsoloplayer

Postby Di Blasi » Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:52 pm

Not anymore really. I too have had some great memorable times while being drunk, as I'm the happy and smiley drunk, talking to everyone. But now I have become so good at keeping myself in check when I do drink, telling myself to be careful, watch myself etc, (I'm not one who likes to "lose control!!!") that I seem to remain sober, until I get home and lay in a spinning bed. But that hasn't happened in some time, and again, I do enjoy what I drink, and not the sickening affect the next day, I don't have patience for that anymore! Perhaps it's my age, or my grown up mind or something. Again, quality over quantity, and I don't agree with quantity of quality! Enjoy!
Di Blasi

Postby Jacques » Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:52 am

It all depends on the ocasion.....
Jacques

Previous

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder