Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

New to the world of Whisky

All your whisky related questions answered here.

New to the world of Whisky

Postby glenn » Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:49 pm

Hello all..........I have just discovered at the age of 45 a taste for whisky.I enjoyed a Glennfidich and then on advice rushed out and bought an expensive bottle of Glennfidich 18 yr ancient...I am not keen on it ? I have tried a teachers and this blended whisky is nice and creamy..............are there any better whiskies that are creamy ?......The 18 yr old just seems too raw to me........appreciatte any tips on what to buy next.
glenn

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:16 pm

Glenn -
I'd be inclinded to start with something like a Glenmorangie 10yo. It is a smooth and I suppose creamy dram and I don't believe there is a better introduction to single malt whisky.
You might also want to try a vatted malt e.g. Famous Grouse 10yo or vintage 1992, again a worthy inroduction to malts.
Have a look at the other messages around these boards and you'll soon get some ideas.
Hold on to your Glenfiddich 18 though. As your palate develops you'll soon appreciate the nuances of this dram. It is not a bad drop.
To the novice, all whisky will taste much the same and blends are favoured as they seem more gentle. However, once you discover the subtle differences between single malts you'll be hooked!
Enjoy
Deactivated Member

Postby Scotched » Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:32 pm

I'm in the same boat as you, having heartily hated Whisky for 43 years my taste buds have suddenly come alive to the taste of good scotch.

It started with a J&B rare. I couldn't believe it, I could drink it without the usual gagging... Then I tried a Highland Park 12... Wow! this is more than just liquid!

Having read extensively ever since I couldn't resist the challenge of Laphroaig. Not for the faint-hearted it said in the book. Its dynamite... but I happily lit the fuse...

At your stage I'd go for an Isle of Jura. A very gentle dram that kisses your tongue with the gentleness of an angel. An under-rated malt in my opinion.
Scotched

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:30 am

Are you in advertising, Scotched? "Highland Park: More than just liquid!" I like it!

Anyway, welcome aboard!
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:13 am

I would agree with the suggestions for Highland PArk and Glenrothes.
But try to get hold of an older Glenrothes, preferably 17 years or more as I find these delightfully creamy and smooth.

WH
Deactivated Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder