Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Liquor stores in Banff, AB - good selection?

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Liquor stores in Banff, AB - good selection?

Postby JAL3 » Fri May 05, 2006 9:28 pm

Hello whisky (and whiskey) aficionados,

Just wondering if anyone has any advice on whisky shopping in Banff, Alberta, i.e.e the breadth of selection I can expect? I am heading their for business in a few and would like to take advantage of the cost savings that privatization brings.

Any input would be appreciated, as well as any prices for illustrative purposes.

Thanks in advance.

Jim
JAL3

Postby WestVanDave » Sat May 06, 2006 2:02 am

Hi Jim - there is a small store at the Fairmont Hotel... (opposite - in the Conference Centre)... but it has a very small selection.

If you are flying in via Calgary then you have two shops available within the airport (same owners)... of the two, Cloud Nine has the better selection - it's at the main terminal (Air Canada side) - vs. its counterpart at the West Jet end...

Also - there are several detours worth taking on the way from the airport to Banff (about an hour's drive)... Willow Park is still may favourite in Calgary - but that's a half hour south from the airport (the wrong direction) and if you were to add on the necessary drooling - browsing time of at least an hour to peruse their collection it might not fit in your travel plans...

Let me know if you have time for the other options and I'll fill in the blanks...
WestVanDave
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat May 06, 2006 3:49 am

She used to drink in the hills;
Only now she drinks in the valley.

--Thomas Dolby

Were I in Banff once again, I'd be drinking in the mountains. If you can, do yourself a favor and get out of town for a few hours.
Deactivated Member

Postby Lawrence » Sat May 06, 2006 4:38 am

There is a store in Banff and it has a decent selection but the prices, as are all prices in Banff, are a little higher than the rest of the area.

Happy hunting.

Lawrence
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby JAL3 » Sat May 06, 2006 12:46 pm

Thank you all for the advice. I may have time for a detour into Calgary...

Lawrence, is the store you're referring to Springs Liquor?

I suspected prices may be higher in a tourist centre like Banff, but I'm sure they're still relatively cheap...Ardbeg 10 (on my list, at least one bottle) is $75 here in Ontario, whereas I've seen it advertised at Calgary-area stores for $48.
JAL3

Postby Lawrence » Sun May 07, 2006 1:40 am

I can't remember the name of the store although if it's any help it used to be a former government store. The price you quote for Ardbeg 10 is a good one, I have never seen it below $70.

Lawrence
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby WestVanDave » Sun May 07, 2006 6:24 am

Actually the Ardbeg 10 can normally be found for below $55 Cdn. in Calgary - for example the listing at Kensington Wine Market shows it at $52.99 (+ tax) ...

http://www.kensingtonwinemarket.com/sea ... se&r_id=10

I would think Cloud Nine (at the airport) would be close to this in price... and I recall seeing it cheaper still at OK Liquor.

If you can't make it downtown to Kensington - or south of the city to Willow Park (two worthy visits) - then here are some locations in the NorthWest area that would be on the way from the airport as you head west to Banff.

1. Crowfoot Liquor Store (very good selection)
7422 Crowfoot Rd NW 201, Calgary, AB
403-296-2200

2. O K Liquor Store
250 Crowfoot Cres NW 4, Calgary, AB
403-241-7777

3. Olympia Liquor Store
400 Crowfoot Cres NW 1, Calgary, AB
403-663-1212

4. Safeway Liquor Store
65 Crowfoot Cres NW, Calgary, AB
403-241-3814
WestVanDave
Silver Member

Postby Lawrence » Sun May 07, 2006 4:56 pm

Thanks Dave, I shall take a look next time I'm in Calgary, actually the first week of June. I've neem to the Crowfoot Liqur store and the OK close by but not the other two. I'll check them out. The OK has had some wonderful prices in the past.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby JAL3 » Wed May 10, 2006 2:35 pm

Thank you all for your responses! I will start with Cloud Nine when I get off the plane, then work my way toward the city from there!

Two final questions:

1) Is Cloud Nine a duty-free shop? I don't think Ontario is an international destination for Albertans...yet.

2) How about Granville Island in Vancouver? Anything interesting nearby?

Thanks again,

Jim
JAL3

Postby Lawrence » Wed May 10, 2006 3:54 pm

I don't think Cloud 9 is duty free, it's before you go through security. As for Granville Island it's not what it used to be and I don't know of a liquor store there. 39th and Cambie has the best selection I believe but WVD will know for sure. You're not coming to Victoria by chance are you?
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Dan G » Wed May 10, 2006 5:13 pm

Lawrence wrote:I can't remember the name of the store although if it's any help it used to be a former government store. The price you quote for Ardbeg 10 is a good one, I have never seen it below $70.

Lawrence

I paid under $40 for Ardbeg 10 at Sobey's on Edmonton recently (liquor store is called Western Cellars, and they're a nicer and almost as cheap version of Real Canadian).

One thing to watch for when price-checking in Alberta is whether gst is included. Some don't put it in their ads, or on the shelf markers, so you get a surprise at cash register.
Dan G

Republic of Western Canada

Postby Muskrat Portage » Wed May 10, 2006 7:00 pm

JAL3 wrote:... I don't think Ontario is an international destination for Albertans...yet. Jim

Jim: Please don't open that can of worms, we've been trying to separate from Ontario for years and join Manitoba. To no avail. Musky Pete
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Re: Republic of Western Canada

Postby JAL3 » Wed May 10, 2006 11:54 pm

Muskrat Portage wrote:
JAL3 wrote:... I don't think Ontario is an international destination for Albertans...yet. Jim

Jim: Please don't open that can of worms, we've been trying to separate from Ontario for years and join Manitoba. To no avail. Musky Pete

Sorry Musky Pete -- no offense intended. It sometimes seems like the entire country is trying to get away from Toronto (and Ottawa, to a lesser extent) as fast as humanly possible!!
JAL3

Re: Liquor stores in Banff, AB - good selection?

Postby willson33 » Sat May 31, 2014 10:50 am

I have been to that shop at Fairmont hotel. I was surprised to see it doesn’t list even couple of best tasting liquors. Click here to see that list I am talking about.
willson33

Re: Liquor stores in Banff, AB - good selection?

Postby mahbub » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:00 am

Castle Mountain Chalets options a trading post that provides everything one may have whereas visiting the world. Gifts, groceries, liquor and gas will be purchased at this very convenient market.
Address: Intersection of main road one and ninety three | metropolis, AB | T1L 1B5
Telephone: 403 762-3868

Thanks.
mahbub

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder