Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

How old is too old?

All your whisky related questions answered here.

How old is too old?

Postby hornagraphic » Wed May 31, 2006 12:47 am

I have two unopened bottles of bourbon whiskey that are 38 years old. One is a 1968 bottle of Old Taylor in a castle decanter, and the other is vintage 1968 Rebel Yell in a cavalry horse decanter. The corks are still intact and sealed...no leakage.

My question is this: Is the whiskey still okay to drink without being poisoned, and how can I make sure it's safe? Thanks..

Wayne
hornagraphic

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed May 31, 2006 1:36 am

I think the biggest problem with bottles this old is evaporation. If there is no significant loss in your bottles, you're good to go! Even if there is, there isn't any significant chance of spoilage. The stuff is full of alcohol, after all. But it might possibly not taste very good.

There is also the possibility of cork spoilage. Hopefully your bottles have been standing upright for all this time. Even if they haven't, that doesn't necessarily mean the whiskey will be "corked".
Deactivated Member

Thanks..

Postby hornagraphic » Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:47 pm

I appreciate your response. :P
hornagraphic

Postby Mr Ellen » Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:03 pm

Hello Wayne,

The whiskey you have in your possession is not 38 years old although you've kept the bottles for all those years.

The age of the whiskey inside those decanters is only 4 years old - as stated on the bottom of the decanter. Once the whiskey has been bottled the maturation process is completed.

I don't think you will be to impressed of the stuff inside. Keep it as a collectors item and buy a GTS or Evan Williams Single Barrel instead... :wink:

Cheers

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:52 pm

He didn't say the whiskey is 38 years old; he said the bottles are 38 years old. (Mr Picky seems to be back from his holiday....)
Deactivated Member

Postby Mr Ellen » Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:33 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:He didn't say the whiskey is 38 years old; he said the bottles are 38 years old. (Mr Picky seems to be back from his holiday....)

How right you are... :oops: Everything is much clearer now as I can read through the bottom of my glass. It must have been that shining liquid that blurred my eyes... :wink:

Cheers

IMO..

Postby hornagraphic » Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:09 am

Thanks, Mr. T, and Mr. E...it is taken into consideration what you both meant.

I must disagree with Mr. E, in that I think that the wheat recipe of 'Rebel Yell' is very tasty indeed. I also like the single barrel Evan Williams, as well as the 1783. One must remember that I am an American, and haven't tasted most of the so-called overrated and often considered whiskies of the world. However, we are all not the same in our taste(s). I enjoy 'Bourbon' whiskey. Rye whiskey, and scotch do not agree with my taste buds..sorry, not to offend anyone.

Unlike most, I judge spirits differently than ya'll do. Nose and taste are one thing, but the actual swallowing and effect to the body mean a lot to me. Folks that say they only drink whiskey for the taste, are like those that say they do cocaine for the smell...IMO.

I have been all over the world, but good bourbon whiskey satisfies me as well as any...besides Glenlevet.
hornagraphic

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:11 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:He didn't say the whiskey is 38 years old; he said the bottles are 38 years old. (Mr Picky seems to be back from his holiday....)

And Mr Picky will realise that if the whisky was bottled when it was four years old 38 years ago, then the whisky is 42 years old - even though it has only matured for four of those years.

Incidentally, I found an ebay seller who added the age statement on the bottle to the time since he purchased the bottles to create 40 year old whisky. I complained to him and explained the rules, so he changed the descriptions to read 35 year old. Then I complained to ebay, and his listings were taken off. Ha ha.
Deactivated Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:33 am

Nick Brown wrote:

And Mr Picky will realise that if the whisky was bottled when it was four years old 38 years ago, then the whisky is 42 years old - even though it has only matured for four of those years.

Incidentally, I found an ebay seller who added the age statement on the bottle to the time since he purchased the bottles to create 40 year old whisky. I complained to him and explained the rules, so he changed the descriptions to read 35 year old. Then I complained to ebay, and his listings were taken off. Ha ha.

I wonder if it is the same guy... I've seen this guy in either germany or italy(can't remember) and nearly every bottle he sells is 40 years old even the blends. I also know that some of the bottles were from the 80's, go figure :?: . Let that be a warning to all budding collectors. Reserch your bottles before you buy a 40yo on ebay :shock: .
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:04 pm

This guy was based in England, and I'm sure he was a well intentioned individual - but he wouldn't listen to my gentle advice. The big problem with ebay IMO is not the fraudsters - it is the amateurs who sell collectibles and use words that have specific meanings in a loose context.
Deactivated Member

Postby Lawrence » Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:05 pm

Quite so, he was trying to fudge his listings........
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:21 pm

:D
Deactivated Member

Postby DramMeister » Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:57 pm

Just had a SMWS Glenfarclas 40.
That's not too old.
What a nose!
DramMeister
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:16 am

Lawrence wrote:Quite so, he was trying to fudge his listings........

As if the rules were carved on a tablet....
Deactivated Member

40 yrs?

Postby hornagraphic » Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:23 pm

I'm a 1950 model, so does that mean that I'm still a swaddling? Or, if you pickle okra in 1986, does the okra grow older or might the cider vinegar get stouter instead..unopened, of course? :lol:

Hey, I'm neither a collector nor an experienced worldwide whiskey expert. However, I do find that trying to become somewhat knowledgable in both areas is quite intriquing nonetheless. Thanks for sharing your humor, and knowledge.

Wayne
hornagraphic

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder