Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Uigeadail

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Postby Lawrence » Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:16 pm

Leither wrote:.The young oogy I would imagine being the replacement shortly. .

I suspect you're correct.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby hpulley » Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:46 pm

The ones someone picked up for me out west seem to have L6 bottling codes on them. I don't know if I believe they were bottled this year. All the Oogies I've had have tasted great, no matter what year they are supposedly from.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Oliver » Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:50 am

You know I've had Ooogies a couple of them actually, and I found them both... overrated. Both years. I thought that it didn't hold a candle to Laphroaig's CS ob 10 years old. I know this is an unfashionable statement, but I wonder if anyone agrees with me on this...
Perhaps I shall post a poll...
Oliver
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:53 am

Apples and oranges.
Deactivated Member

Postby Wave » Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:26 pm

Oliver wrote:You know I've had Ooogies a couple of them actually, and I found them both... overrated. Both years. I thought that it didn't hold a candle to Laphroaig's CS ob 10 years old. I know this is an unfashionable statement, but I wonder if anyone agrees with me on this...
Perhaps I shall post a poll...

Actually I do agree with you. I've got a couple bottles of the L4 068 12:26 4ML Uigeadail and it's good but I like the Laphroaig Cask Strength so much better. Though I wish we could get the Caol Ila Cask Strength (non-25yo) here because it blows away both!

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby Oliver » Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:28 pm

Wave,

Good, I'm not alone. Where do you live? I can't seem to get the Caol Ila CS either and it is quite frustrating.

Cheers!

PS: to the tattieheid (here we go again...): A comparaison between Laphroig and Ardbeg is, I would think, perfectly appropriate. Surely they have more in common then apples and oranges. Different varietals of oranges, grown in the same region perhaps... anyways, sorry if this truly offends you --this is going to restrict the conversations somewhat if one can't compare various Islay Malts to one another. I'll make sure I pass the memo to Serge, Michael and the rest of the gang :wink:
Oliver
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:20 pm

No offense taken! One is certainly entitled to one's opinion. Mine is simply that the intent of these two drams is totally different, which makes comparison a bit specious. One's 10yo bourbon barrels, one's a mix with older sherry (or was). And you can certainly say you like apples better than oranges, anyway. You can compare Laphroaig 40 to a glass of New Orleans tap water, if you want to. It's just not the association I would make.
Deactivated Member

Postby Oliver » Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:53 pm

Surely a comparaison between two Cask Strength Official Bottlings from Islay distilleries makes more sense then a comparaison between "New Orleans tap water" and Laphroiag 40 years old...(talk about apples and oranges!)

Perhaps the distinguished and very wise 'cask strength gold member' is being a little disingenuous here? :wink:
Oliver
Silver Member

Postby Lawrence » Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:16 pm

I agree with Mr T (and all of you) comparing Ardbeg U and others is fraught with challenges because they have such different make up, one is a 'blend' of older and younger whiskies and the other is a run of similar age types.

I undrstand what you're saying about the Ardbeg U, it has a lot of fans but then I know of a number of people that don't like.

Such is the market place, it's neither right nor wrong, it's just the way it is.

Oliver, have you had a chance to try the Laphroaig Quarter Cask yet?
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Oliver » Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:38 pm

Such is the market place, it's neither right nor wrong, it's just the way it is.

Ah the invisible hand of the market, Locke and all that... Fitting I suppose, since this is about 'Scotch' whisky.

Lawrence, we are the marketplace, you are. And as such you can do something about it. You do everytime you buy a product over an other.

Everyone tampers with it when needed even (especially?) conservative governments! When along with others, you get together and start a website and grade and comment Malts you are influencing that seemingly untouchable entity, "the marketplace." Think of the folks at Malt Madness and the relative clout they have. That a committed (and dare I say, whealthy --for the most part) minority of consumers expressed great interest in malts has influenced the marketplace. To put it mildly.
The fact that we like authenticity has helped bring about Cask Strength releases and unchilfiltered ones in greater number.

Anyways, I have not tried Laphroaig quarter cask --I'd very much like too, but they don't sell it were I live! :x
Did you? ANy tasting notes?
Oliver
Silver Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:53 am

I must side slightly on Oliver's side here. I don't believe we should be going to the this extreme of sub-classification of scotch. True it is a very subjective and personal issue but I really don't believe you can say apple and oranges in this case. If you can't compare a Laphroaig to an Ardbeg then what can you do? :roll: . I think Ardbeg is a good maybe even great whisky but it too is not my No.1 preference. The main reason a whisky is made different from distillery to distillery is not to create their own sub-classifications it's to create a style of their own, an Identity that makes them stand out from the crowd, but just because it is different does not mean you can't compare them. I actually find it quite easy to compare a Talisker to an Ardbeg and Talisker wins for me. I don't care how much bourbon or sherry barrels are used in a whisky as long as I like it. I'd prefer a Glenrothes or HP over a Macallan. I'd also prefer a HP over an Ardbeg but I'd favour the Ardbeg over Macallan (Sorry Oliver for the Macallan bashing :lol: ).

I know the majority do not agree with me but for me whisk(e)y is whisky and I can compare them all to each other even whiskey nationalities (in an objective way of course) as at the end of the day I'm the one drinking the whisk(e)y from my glass. I still place Redbreast 15yo as the best Whiskey I've ever tasted eventhough I have adored any Laphroaig Cask strength or Talisker I've had but unfortunately I have not caught the Ardbeg bug, I just don't get it which is boo hoo for me :wink:

I think we sometimes get too intellectual about what at the end of the day is a simple drink (do I hear howls of derision :lol: ) which is made with great care and master craftmanship.

P.S. Lap QC is in a classs of it own :lol:
Last edited by irishwhiskeychaser on Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby hpulley » Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:53 pm

IMO, I agree that it's all personal preference. I prefer Ardbeg; obviously some here prefer Laphroaig. If that weren't the case then there'd be just one bottle of liquor at the store (beside one type of cheese, etc.). I've had a bottle of LQC open for a long time now and it is still more than a third full but I've emptied a few bottles of Uigeadail, Ardbeg TEN and Ardbeg 17yo in the same amount of time (many other brands of whisky too so Laphroaig isn't high up on my favorites list right now). A bottle of Laphroaig 10yo is similarly sitting there, occasionally tried but not really enjoyed that much anymore, though it used to be one I drank a lot of.

I disagree that you can compare any whisky to any other whisk(e)y. I don't think it is fair to compare Forty Creek to Elmer T. Lee to Redbreast to Bladnoch to Ardbeg. Laphroaig to Ardbeg I say you can definitely compare but even Ardbeg to Bladnoch is a bit of a stretch and comparing them to bourbons and Canadian whiskies is completely invalid IMO; there just isn't enough in common between an Alberta rye whisky and an islay malt whisky to say much of anything about them. You might as well compare them to cognac or tequila if you're just going to say which ones you prefer.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:28 pm

Ok I was streatching it a little on the whisky and whiskey point :oops: but it was to try and make the point that I feel people are taking sub-classification way over board. Why do people feel loath to compare a Talisker to a Laphroaig just because they are different and from different areas or even the Irish Connemara to an Ardbeg (Ardbeg wins by the way :wink: )

You might as well say that you can't compare a Ardbeg very young to a still young at this rate because they are different ages!!!!

If we all made a fruit cake we'd all make something different even if the same basic ingredients were used. We can all be in different countries we might use different measures and different ovens but still should be in a position to be able to critically compare each of our efforts on an even basis and say which one is the favoured cake without someone saying well I did not use raisins in my cake so I should be judged in a different class.
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby bamber » Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:27 pm

I'm happy to compare not just all whiskies, but also all spirits as well.

Purely in terms of my personal enjoyment:
    George T. Stagg is better than Ardbeg 10yo
    Ardbeg 10yo is better than Buffalo Trace
    Buffalo Trace is better than Bushmills 16yo
    Bushmills 16yo is better than Aberlour 10yo
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:48 pm

Oliver said;

When along with others, you get together and start a website and grade and comment Malts you are influencing that seemingly untouchable entity, "the marketplace." Think of the folks at Malt Madness and the relative clout they have. That a committed (and dare I say, whealthy --for the most part) minority of consumers expressed great interest in malts has influenced the marketplace.

Anyways, I have not tried Laphroaig quarter cask --I'd very much like too, but they don't sell it were I live! :x Did you? ANy tasting notes?

Check out the profiles on Malt Maddness and thanks for that! :D

As for the LQC there's thread here on it with extensive comments, I really enjoy this whisky and have gone to some lenghts to secure a number of bottles. I also wrote an article on LQC and a few other NAS whiskies including Ardbed U but it is yet to be published, in the next month or so it should appear.

Lawrence
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Lawrence » Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:01 pm

My article has been published, here' the link;

http://www.whiskyfun.com/archiveseptember06-1.html#070906
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Oliver » Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:31 pm

Hey Lawrence,

I had read this piece in Whiskyfun a few days ago (Great site, btw). I liked it so much I actually forwarded it to some newbie-ish French friends to help them choose what to buy --and you know how picky I am about whisky writing... Well done!

I was unaware that you knew Serge or that you were (are) a malt-maniac for that matter :D
You must be living the life with all the free bottles the industry is sending you :wink:

This news furthers my point about influencing the market, you guys (the malt maniacs) definitely have influenced the market place. And in no small way.
One example: in every liquor store I have been in the U.S. of A. (not a few --trust me!), I have seen little stickers and notices vauting some malts as "best readily available malt" or some such denomination, according to Malt Maniacs --with a little logo of your group no less! You guys are influencing the market. If you give a great review to a particular bottling, its sales and prestige very likely WILL go up -- and the industry is betting on it, hence the little label all over America's liquor stores.
Now, how do I become a member? :wink:
Oliver
Silver Member

Postby Ardbeg311 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:39 pm

Lawrence, just read your short article. Thanks. As you stated, one of the things that makes these whiskies so great is that they are affordable. Given the fullness and depth of flavors in these whiskies (I have not tried the Benromach you list) one would expect to pay so much more for them.

Regarding this Uigeadail thread:
For my two cents I think we all recognize that an Ardbeg Uigeadail is not a Laphroaig 10yo CS and vice versa. As others have already noted, how each is put together is different and it’s that difference which makes then unique. So what are we comparing and for what purpose?

If Oliver is of the opinion that a Laphroaig CS is superior to a Uigeadail than so be it. I am of the opinion that the Ardbeg Uigeadail 2004 is a superior bottle to either of the Laphroaig CS (57.3% and 55.7%) that I have had. I like all three very much because I like the smoky and peaty characteristics of these cask strength Islay bottles. But even here since they are different whiskies, I think the most I can say is that I personally enjoy the powerful balance of the sherry and peat that I found in the Uigeadail more than I enjoy the powerful smoky, medicinal flavor of the Laphroaig. Another person may note other characteristics that would make him/her choose the Laphroaig.
Ardbeg311
Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:54 pm

Thanks for your comments on my article, I generally hear little by the way of feedback som your comments are both welcome and encouraging.

Oliver I will pass on your comments about the liquor store tags to Johannes today, that's really interesting.

And by the way, I have NEVER received a free bottle from any company, the free bottles I receive arrive in the same fashion everybody else here receives a free bottle, from friends and family.

Although Misako Udo kindly sent me a revised version of her book which I use all the time.

Lawrence
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby nchan50 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:59 pm

Just FYI for those of you that are wondering (note from Glenmorangie).

"Uigeadail is one of the 4 core products for Ardbeg. Because of this there will be a good supply still available, however there will only be so many bottles released per year.

Naturally this product will eventually phase out in years to come.

Kind Regards

Laura McVicar
Marketing Assistant"

Now, the consistency of the product next year and thereafter (given the variations from 2003 - 2005) is the real question...
nchan50

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:09 pm

Well put Ardbeg311, can't argue with that. It is all down to how we precieve what we are drinking.

Yes Lawerence it is always great to see little nuggets of information on any whisky so don't be shy about letting us know when your reviews are being published anywhere. Benromach is already on my 'to get' list from a few comments you posted a while back. Well done and keep up the enthusiasm.

As with everything that is so personal to us all I sometimes do not agree with the Malt Maniacs but they are a dedicated group and should be applauded (as every one should be here) for voicing views and concerns etc. WhiskyFun is another great website that I've enjoyed for a while now. Long may it continue.
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Lawrence » Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:24 pm

irishwhiskeychaser wrote:
Yes Lawerence it is always great to see little nuggets of information on any whisky so don't be shy about letting us know when your reviews are being published anywhere. Benromach is already on my 'to get' list from a few comments you posted a while back. Well done and keep up the enthusiasm.

Thank you, I will. I've very impressed with the new Benromach, and the Organic is very good.

irishwhiskeychaser wrote:As with everything that is so personal to us all I sometimes do not agree with the Malt Maniacs but they are a dedicated group and should be applauded (as every one should be here) for voicing views and concerns etc. WhiskyFun is another great website that I've enjoyed for a while now. Long may it continue

Great comment, I think it's a bit much to expect anybody to agree with 24 people all the time and besides, healthy debate is good for the soul. Does that make sense?

Lawrence
Lawrence
Matured cask

Previous

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder