Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Indian Whisky Tasting Notes

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Indian Whisky Tasting Notes

Postby Wendy » Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:21 pm

Hello Everyone:
A friend who is traveling in India (visiting family) has offered to bring back a bottle of Indian Whisky for me. I have begun to do some research, but tasting notes are scarce. I understand some of the controversies around Indian whiskies, but I am intrigued considering the rapid growth of this market.

So far, I have asked her to bring back a bottle of AMRUT Single Malt, Amrut Distillery. From what I have read, it is the first Indian whisky to meet EU Regulations and Jim Murray gives it a pretty sound score of 82 in the 2006 Bible. Another whisky which has caught my eye is from the Sikkum Distilleries - Sikkum Special, Sikkum Old Gold Premium and Sikkum Shangrila Whiskey.

I have just begun to scratch the surface on this subject, but welcome any tasting notes or listing of bottlings.

Thanks for any advice and comments.

Wendy
Wendy
Gold Member

Postby Matt2 » Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:19 pm

Here are a couple of notes for Amrut, I think there may be an Indian tasting session coming in Whisky Magazine but not sure when....

And Lawrence made this note on the forum :
Sikkum Indian Single Malt Quite literally like gasoline. Shock & horror. Undrinkable. :shock:

http://www.whiskymag.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=26692
Matt2

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:26 pm

Brief bit in Malt Maniacs about an Idndian Whisky too

Mcdowell's Single Malt Whisky

http://www.maltmadness.com/mm04.html#04-05

Regards Adrian
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Jeroen Kloppenburg » Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:02 pm

I got a tasting note for Amrut on my site as well, and was highly surprised to see it followed murray's findings pretty close.

In fact, you dont know half how surpsised I was! I got a sample of it at first from Chris at the Quaich bar. When I then sampled it the manager of Amrut came into the bar, who then showed me murray's note, and we discussed some more about his malt.

Anyway, not a regular dram, but has a lot of characteristics of a very mature speysider. The big difference in climate is said to contribute so much to its speedy maturation. Which could be so, as people from the Scottish trade say as well that lowlanders mature faster then highlanders due to a warmer climate year round.
Jeroen Kloppenburg
Silver Member

Re: Indian Whisky Tasting Notes

Postby No Man » Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:27 pm

http://www.whiskymag.com/forum/viewtopi ... mrut#33191

Bond wrote:Strangely, Amrut is not sold in India!
Have been using all my "influence" to lay my hands on one but in vain.
No Man

Postby Wendy » Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:13 am

Gentlemen,
A special thank you. Because of your help, I am far more informed this evening than I was earlier today. Great stuff!! I was particularly surprised to discover that Amrut is NOT sold in India! (No Man, indeed, a very helpful first post.) I will now have to cross that whisky off of my list.

Jeroen, I appreciated your Amrut tasting notes which I read on your site. It sounded like you had a pretty unique experience to have met Amrut's Distillery Manager, Sukinder Kumar, while tasting Amrut whisky for the first time. That doesn't happen to too many people. Out of curiousity, did Mr. Kumar explain why Amrut is not sold in India?

For the moment, I am not too sure at all which whisky I will ask my friend to bring back for me... I don't think it will be Sikkum.

I welcome additional information, if anyone wants to add more to the subject.

Kind regards,
Wendy
Wendy
Gold Member

Postby Jeroen Kloppenburg » Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:28 am

Good question Wendy! Untill I've read it here, I had no idea that it was not sold in India!
Jeroen Kloppenburg
Silver Member

Amrut Single Malt Whisky

Postby Wendy » Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:05 pm

Hello Everyone:

I decided to write Amrut Distilleries for more information. Yesterday, I was very happy to receive a reply from Fiona Laing, Communications Consultant, Amrut Distilleries Ltd who kindly confirmed that Amrut Single Malt Whisky is still not sold in India. In Ms. Laing’s note, she also stated:

North America is on the horizon for Amrut sales, but a decision was taken to launch in Europe, (Scotland first) and establishing a brand takes time. Please be patient!

Ms. Laing also forwarded an interesting article from anglow, http://www.anglow.net/, see March ‘06 – of whisky and whiskey around the world: an interview with Indian, American and Scottish distillers. It is well worth the read.

Personally, I have found the story behind the Bangalore-based Amrut Single Malt Whisky very interesting especially since it caught me off guard to learn that the whisky was not available in India. In my search for the authentic Indian Whisky tasting experience, Amrut Single Malt Whisky developed into a multi layered story that captures the entrepreneur spirit, tradition, risk and culture. All great stuff in my books!

Cheers,
Wendy
Wendy
Gold Member

Re: Amrut Single Malt Whisky

Postby No Man » Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:33 pm

http://www.whiskymag.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4128

Bullie wrote:Islay Inactive:
Port Ellen 1983 Closed (Rebuilt into offices, stills now active in India)
No Man

Postby Wendy » Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:03 pm

And following Bullies comments, Lawrence wrote:
Does this mean we can buy an Indian Port Ellen soon?

Does anyone know which Distillery in India is using the Port Ellen stills? I initially jumped to conclusion thinking it was Amrut Distilleries, but on second thought that doesn't have to be the case.

Cheers,
Wendy
Wendy
Gold Member

Postby Jeroen Kloppenburg » Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:22 pm

Anyone has a photo of the PE stills? I have a promotional video of Amrut. Can't remmeber to have seen stills on it, but with osme time (ah, such a rare thing for me these days...) I could go over it seeing if I can compare the two.
Jeroen Kloppenburg
Silver Member

Postby Lawrence » Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:45 pm

http://www.thewhiskystore.de/dist/portelle/w81_4.jpg

Try this link and let us know it they look at all alike to the Amrut.

Lawrence
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Jeroen Kloppenburg » Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:21 pm

Here ya go:

Defenitally not a PE still :)
Jeroen Kloppenburg
Silver Member

Postby Lawrence » Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:31 pm

Yup, that answers that.

Lawrence
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Frodo » Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:11 pm

Wendy wrote:Does anyone know which Distillery in India is using the Port Ellen stills? I initially jumped to conclusion thinking it was Amrut Distilleries, but on second thought that doesn't have to be the case.

Curious about this...
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder