Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Good investment: Singleton - 10 Years Old (Auchroisk) ?

All your whisky related questions answered here.
Related whiskies : Auchroisk 10 Years Old

Good investment: Singleton - 10 Years Old (Auchroisk) ?

Postby Caledonians » Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:20 pm

Hi all,

Today i came across a litre bottle of Singleton - 10 Years Old (Auchroisk) at a whisky shop. I knew that this was a discontinued bottle but wasn't sure if this will be a good investment. The price at the shop was very good though. I'm not intending to drink it myself but sell it for profit. With the profit i could buy a nice bottle i like. On whiskyexchange i saw that the price is £89.50 :shock:. Are there really people willing to pay so much for this bottle?

So in short, is this a good investment?

Thanks!
Caledonians

Postby jimidrammer » Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:20 pm

I've seen a couple of these still around, 750ml bottlings @ $40-45US. Never seen a great review of this, so reputation might keep prices down for investment purposes.
jimidrammer
Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:08 am

jimidrammer wrote:I've seen a couple of these still around, 750ml bottlings @ $40-45US. Never seen a great review of this, so reputation might keep prices down for investment purposes.

I don't know if it's a good investment, but Loch Dhu has a bad reputation, but is very collectable.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:19 am

Not sure, but if the price makes the bottle worth drinking if it doesn't become a collectable, then I say go for it - can't lose.
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby PuckJunkie » Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:00 am

I saw that bottle just today... $42.50 US here. Although I suppose the low price would help make it a sound investment, if there are going to be people willing to buy it for almost three times that on The Whisky Exchange.

Puck
PuckJunkie
Bronze Member

Postby kallaskander » Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:54 am

Hi there,

the Singleton of Auchroisk 10 year old was the first OB from this distillery and could well be the only one from that certain time and there are not many OBs from them around. That means that the whisky from this distillery is not a collecters field of activity like Macallan or Glenfarclas or others. The bottle in itself is rare as the Singleton is now named simple Auchroisk and was available from independent bottlers only for a long time. I can not tell you if it makes a big difference between the litre bottle or the usual 0.7 litre bottle for collectors but a certain scarcity is a good starting point for the increase in value. But most probably it will not reach prices like old Macallans or others.
The collectors value depends solely on someone willing to pay what collectors think the item is worth. If for you it is only a bottle of a whisky you never tried before it is just a bottle of whisky. Then stay away from the price tag. :wink:

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby corbuso » Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:43 pm

I haven't seen the Singleton 10 YO bottled in bottles of 70cl, but only in 1L version. In addition to the 10 YO, Auchroisk released one vintage for Japan and was sold for about £180 last year.
Regarding the Singleton 10 Y0, one bottle was sold for £100 last year during the speyside whisky auction. From what I heard, the Singleton of Auchroisk is better than the Auchroisk F&F. Also, it is very unlikely that there willl be a further Singleton Auchroisk, since Diageo has just lauched the Singleton of Glen Ord.

To come back to your question, I don't think that the price will increase above £100 in the next 5-10 years, since Auchroisk is a rather unknown malt.

Regards

http://www.whisky-news.com
corbuso
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:19 am

The Singleton was one of the first bottles I bought. I recall it had a rather nice flavour although can't really remember the details, but the finish lasted only about 5 seconds and then just vanished.
Deactivated Member

Postby kallaskander » Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:20 pm

Hi there,

the Singleton of Auchroisk was meant for blending afaik and when it came out as a single malt it was quickly called a designer whisky.

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Re: Good investment: Singleton - 10 Years Old (Auchroisk) ?

Postby jaxjrone » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:57 pm

For my club (Metro Atlanta Scotch Club), I'm trying to find a bottle of "The Singleton of Glen Ord". At our last 3 monthly tasting events, we have had the Singleton of Dufftown, Glendullan and Auchroisk.... the Asian retailers refuse to ship a bottle of the Glen Ord to me in the US. (So far, the best of the lot is The Singleton of Dufftown, but the Auchroisk and Glendullan are also quite good.) Yes, I paid stupid money for The Singleton of Auchroisk, but it was worth the experience. I must add that Diageo's entry level malts are quite good in spite of chill-filtration and caramel coloration... they need to take appropriate remedial action as did Burn Stewart Distillers, Arran, etc.) PLEASE ship a bottle of "The Singleton of Glen Ord" to me in the US...
jaxjrone

Related whiskies : Auchroisk 10 Years Old

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder