Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

GlenParker Speyside Single Malt

All your whisky related questions answered here.

GlenParker Speyside Single Malt

Postby JONATHAN GAGG » Sat Mar 17, 2001 11:47 am

I received a 1l bottle of GlenParker Speyside Single Malt from my brother after he visited the island of Kos in Summer 2000. Does anyone know which distillery it originates from / age or any other details. The only clue is the the name James Parker, Glasgow. Any information would be very welcome!

Many Thanks,

Jonathan
JONATHAN GAGG

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Mar 17, 2001 6:01 pm

Hi Jonathan,

I think we are dealing here with an independent bottler, who uses his own name for his malt from Speyside, I believe that his malt varies from perhaps Glenfarclas to Glenfiddich or whatever he gets his hands on for a reasonable price, and then it's export only, and the result is that it sells good in Greece or Spain or whatever he can sell it to. That's my vision of him.

Regards,

Erik
Deactivated Member

Postby exil » Sun Mar 18, 2001 8:04 pm

The infamous Glen Parker is bottled by Angus Dundee PLC. Their homepage doesn't reveal the origin. Some suggest that it is a young Highland malt most likely from a larger distillery. Wherever it is from, it's not a very enjoyable malt.

J.
exil

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Mar 19, 2001 5:29 pm

Hi there,

Glen Parker tastes like a very young, more iodinic Glenfiddich, it is a pretty vile malt, sorry .

Possibly, this malt originates from Speyside distillery (a.k.a. Drumguish, Grandtully), some casks they made there were as bad as Glen Parker.

I use my Glen Parker for cooking (marinating meat etc)

Regards,

Martin B
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Mar 19, 2001 5:35 pm

Hi there,

Glen Parker tastes like a very young, more iodinic Glenfiddich, it is a pretty vile malt, sorry .

Possibly, this malt originates from Speyside distillery (a.k.a. Drumguish, Grandtully), some casks they made there were as bad as Glen Parker.

I use my Glen Parker for cooking (marinating meat etc)

Regards,

Martin B
Deactivated Member

Re: GlenParker Speyside Single Malt

Postby geofmcgregor » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:29 pm

I recently bought a litre of Glen Parker whisky in Dubai airport, and its the most vile whisky I have ever tasted and I have tasted quite a lot.
I took two tastes just in case and the rest went down the sink, I would not even let my wife cook with it. A really vile whisky
geofmcgregor

Postby Ganga » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:56 pm

Ah, the Glen Parker-a fine dram when held up against the likes of Drumguish, Loch Dhu and Glen Eden.

I had a bottle of this awhile back. It is a very inexpensive malt. Predominantly oak with a touch of maltiness. Unpleasant yes but not vile. The big problem: very astringent. Glen Ronach is also similar.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby upright » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:25 pm

I like Glen Parker because my wife drinks it and leave all my other malts alone. We use to get it for about 5$ a bottle on sale. For that price you can almost drink it. LOL
upright
Bronze Member

Postby Cameron_Murie » Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:23 pm

I bought It because it was a cheap Malt I had never tried.
It's probably the worst whiskey I ever drank, but I still like it.
It's Harsh, leaning towards bitter, and slightly acid on my nose. Satisfying throaty aftertaste. Puts me in mind of fish. its fishy.
BUT it somehow works extremely well as an Accompaniment to a cool glass of Kilkenny Ale.
Recipe:
1X Glass Kilkenny, well poured
1X Generous Glen Parker with a block of ice.

Sip at leisure, alternately, in whichever sequence takes your fancy.
Not bad!
Cameron_Murie

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:27 pm

Congrats to geofmcgregor for reviving an eight-year-old thread! I think that's a record, and is probably about twice the age of his bottle of Glen Parker.
Deactivated Member

Postby Caledonia » Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:33 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:Congrats to geofmcgregor for reviving an eight-year-old thread! I think that's a record, and is probably about twice the age of his bottle of Glen Parker.

Looking at that this is really impressive !!

8 years -

deserves a medal?
Caledonia
Bronze Member

Postby kallaskander » Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:20 am

Hi there,

8 years not bad.

But if Angus Dundee is involved there are two suspects. Glencadam and Tomintoul.

Both distilleries belong to Angus Dundee. Of these two Glencadam is the more eratic malt.

I love what AD does with Tomintoul and the OB bottlings.

The old Glencadam 15 yo has often been described as a strange malt. AD revamped it and made a new vatting for it and along came a 10 yo.

So my guess would be Glencadam tastewise but if it says Speyside Tomintoul of course.

Greeting
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby musicmatt » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:21 am

Hi does anyone know where I can buy Glen Parker whisky in Scotland? I know most of you would advise against the purchase, but I'm not considering sampling anyway!
musicmatt

Postby Anster » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:06 pm

Robbie's Drams in Ayr (good range of stock on website) sells Glen Parker and a few other younger 'budget' malts. I haven't tried this one, but even at the £15 a pop I think I will save by pennies for the upcoming Islay releases. However, at the bargain basement end of things, I recently got a couple of bottles of Tomatin 10 and Aberlour 10, and for the money, they are both decent enough.
Anster

Postby musicmatt » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:10 pm

Thanks Anster.
musicmatt

Postby FlyingScotsman » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:57 pm

Glen Parker is to the Malt Whisky industry what horse shit is to rhubarb. It is not a proper Malt by any stretch of the imagination and presumably is bought by unsuspecting drunk wanderers of late night shopping at airport duty frees. Even the label makes one suspicious and the taste confirms your worst fears. It should be banned or a label added stating clearly it is an insult to good malt or even blended whisky and is not fit as either a) toilet cleanser or b) de-icer in Russia where a good one (vodka) can be licked off the windscreen by passing alkies, I kid you not. Any self respecting alkie would give Glen Parker de-icer a miss!
FlyingScotsman

Postby seanmcgowan » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:15 am

I just picked up a bottle of GlenParker tonight at the LCBO. Again because I always pick up any malt I have not seen before. I think the reason this post keeps coming back is because this offering is just that BAD.

If anyone has tasted sour mash moonshine they will know exactly the nose and palate of GlenParker. I am fairly confident someone is buying bad mash that reputable firms wont even cask. It is very young, sour and mashy tasting.
I intend to return this bottle to the LCBO
seanmcgowan

Postby Ruthieroo » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:25 pm

I am not a whisky drinker as you can see by my profile. Notwithstanding, I bought a bottle of the illustrious Glen Parker for my husband (no, I don't hate him) thinking since it said single malt on the bottle that it would be one of those peaty type whiskies that he loves.

Unfortunately not the case! So I have asked for a refund, since it is clearly not what it purports to be.

I have yet to hear back from the seller, but I will let you know how it goes!

Grateful to have found this thread, I can assure you!

Best wishes,

Ruth
Ruthieroo

Postby Ganga » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:54 am

Ruth:

Generally speaking Speyside whiskies whether blended or single malt are not peated. Single malt refers to malted barley for distillation at a single distillery. Now blended whiskies can also be peaty. Take Teachers or Johnnie Walker Black. Both have a fair amount of smokey character.

Good luck on getting a refund.
Ganga
Matured cask

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder