Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

favorite traveling locations...

All your whisky related questions answered here.

favorite traveling locations...

Postby Loko Dave » Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:33 pm

hi, i'm making a favorite vacation location poll for my website and what was wondering what is the majority of people's places to travel to?
come on people... don't be shy!
Loko Dave

Postby SpiritofShetland » Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:25 pm

Scotland!

Dufftown is the place I've been the most.
SpiritofShetland
Silver Member

Postby Dubois » Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:29 pm

Switzerland :!:
Dubois
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:37 pm

Anywhere away from my home... whether it's a week-end or a month away it does not matter s long as it's away. Not one for going to the same place all the time.
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Di Blasi » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:20 am

I may say Scotland the first week of September upon my return from my first visit there.
Norway is spectacular, lots to see and discover, and very relaxing.
Thailand's people amazed me with their genuine sincerity.
And so many other places to discover!
Di Blasi

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:38 am

Orkney, Shetland, Islay, Lewis, Harris, Barra, Edinburgh, Plockton, Skye, Bergen, Trondheim, Carnac, Concarneau, St-Malo, Mont-St-Michel, Rouen, Calvados, the Yorkshire Dales, the North York Moors, York, Cumbria, Northumbria, Galway, Connemara, Reykjavik, Akureyri, Føroyar, Amsterdam, Halifax, Cape Breton Island, Fredericton, St Andrews-by-the-Sea, Charlevoix, les Îles de la Madeleine, Gaspé, Québec, Montréal, Ottawa, Kingston, Toronto, the Niagara Escarpment, the Oak Ridges Moraine, Banff, Jasper, the Okanagan, Fraser Valley, Victoria, Seattle, Portland Oregon, San Francisco, San Diego, Portland Maine, Bar Harbor, Portsmouth New Hampshire, Burlington Vermont, Northampton Massachusetts....

Not necessarily in that order.
Deactivated Member

Postby les taylor » Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:19 am

Longitude 131 uluru. :)
les taylor

Postby Jan » Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:55 am

Well, after being bitten by the whisky bug, I'm pining to discover Scotland - but apart from that, a long time favourite of mine has been Prague. Wonderful city - loads of thing to see and nice, inexpensive chezch beer to be had when you need a break.

Cheers
Jan
Jan
Gold Member

Eh?

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:32 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote: ... les Îles de la Madeleine, Gaspé, Québec, Montréal, Ottawa, Kingston, Toronto, the Niagara Escarpment, the Oak Ridges Moraine, Banff, Jasper, the Okanagan, Fraser Valley, Victoria, ....

What? No Rat Portage? :cry: I'm devastated.
So far, my favorite location is Piazza san Marco, Venice in the evening after a rain. Two bands alternating off playing while sitting on the Piazza under the stars, with a dram in hand surrounded by family. No mosquitos- heaven. Number two is, John's Pass, St. Pete's Florida any time of day and three is my backyard in the early morning.
Muskrat
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Re: Eh?

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:47 pm

Muskrat Portage wrote:What? No Rat Portage? :cry: I'm devastated.

...Manitoulin, Blind River, Sault Ste Marie, Batchawana Bay, Wawa, White River, Marathon, Nipigon, Thunder Bay, Dryden, Kenora, Humboldt, Vegreville, Cache Creek, Hope, the Coquihalla Pass, the Kettle Valley Railway, Nanaimo, Tofino, Ucluelet....
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:15 pm

...the Eyesores, the Islets of Langerhans, the Sea of Tranquility, the canyons of Mars, the mountains of Venus, the moons of Saturn, Riverworld, Earthsea, Arrakis, Caladan, Krypton, the Phantom Zone, the Negative Zone, negative space, subspace, inner space, MySpace, certain parts of the Andromeda Galaxy, the realm of the imagination, the mind's eye, the heart of the sunrise, where No Man has gone before, world without end, amen, amen!

They make damn good whisky in the Phantom Zone.
Deactivated Member

Postby Aidan » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:53 pm

New York, Rome, Venice and Prague are amazing. I also always love going to Munich.

I'd love to go to Vancouver.

On the home front, I love going to County Clare. Always good fun there. A drive along the west coast is also very rewarding.
Aidan

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:15 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:...the Eyesores, the Islets of Langerhans, the Sea of Tranquility, the canyons of Mars, the mountains of Venus, the moons of Saturn, Riverworld, Earthsea, Arrakis, Caladan, Krypton, the Phantom Zone, the Negative Zone, negative space, subspace, inner space, MySpace, certain parts of the Andromeda Galaxy, the realm of the imagination, the mind's eye, the heart of the sunrise, where No Man has gone before, world without end, amen, amen!

That is some car you must have there Mr TH :lol: :lol: :lol:
irishwhiskeychaser

West Coast

Postby Muskrat Portage » Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:56 pm

Aidan wrote: ...I'd love to go to Vancouver...

Aidan: Also slip across (Canso) from Vancouver to Victoria, and points north on the Island. You'll never regret it. Muskrat
Edit: Canso? I had our impending East Coast vacation on my mind. Sorry
Last edited by Muskrat Portage on Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:42 pm

Canso? Can not! Funny sense of geography you have there, Musky. I've got Georgia on my mind.
Deactivated Member

Postby Lord_Pfaffin » Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:55 pm

One of my faves was the "land of smiles", Thailand, hard to find good scotch there, no trouble finding good pot to smoke. The flight is a real killer, 26hrs of torture in a flying germ-cage with bad food, b.o. and stale farts, follwed by sever jet-lag. The month vacation there was well worth the darth of travelling there and back, if i were to do it again i'd have to fly 1st class or not at all.
Lord_Pfaffin
Silver Member

Postby Badmonkey » Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:45 am

Tough question. IN Alberta, I head for the Kananaskis to hike or ski. In
BC, Chrisitina Lake is where I go. Parents, fishing, fruit from orchards. Cant complain. In Japan, nothing beats leaving the city for the mountains and soaking away everything that bothers you in beautiful hotspring like Chojukan.
Badmonkey
Gold Member

Postby CHy » Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:39 pm

Places I go to most? Islands.....any in the Maldives and ISLAY, (of course)
CHy

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:59 pm

CHy wrote:Places I go to most? Islands.....any in the Maldives and ISLAY, (of course)

Welcome CHy good to see new posters to add to the mix. Have fun and feel at home here. A good bunch here willing to debate the blackness of White etc :wink:
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Wave » Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:39 pm

Well Scotland for 1 of course! The Iles of Islay, Skye, the Shetlands and the Orkney's not to mention Speyside are wonderful locations. I also love the south island of New Zealand and the east coast of Australia.

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:44 pm

I can drive to Austria in less than an hour, Italy in just over 2 hours and I'm in the German Alps in 45 minutes.

All favourites!

But of course I also like Scotland, Ireland and my beloved Yorkshire.
Deactivated Member

Postby maverick » Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:29 pm

I have to say mine is Bulgaria because practically my whole family lives there and Bulgaria offers great beaches, mountains to mount, spirits and wines and great food. Because it's still behind many western countries it is quite cheap for visitors too.

I recently studied in Dublin and Ireland is a new favorite because of it's beautiful countyside and being on the west coast reminds you that not everything in Ireland is as run-down as Dublin. I especially like Ireland because of it's pub culture.
maverick

Postby Thomas H. » Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:29 pm

Ask me again in 2 weeks when I return from Scotland.:D

I loved Prague. Romania is a beautifull country. London was cool.
Thomas H.

Postby Jobi » Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:13 pm

I second the nod to Prague and I'll add Ljubljana, which we visited on the same trip. I found it to be a fun young city with a nice bohemian feel to it.
Jobi
Gold Member

Postby Drrich1965 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:26 pm

My travels usually take me to Guatemala, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, and soon to Peru.....
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby Jobi » Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:28 pm

Aidan wrote:New York, Rome, Venice and Prague are amazing. I also always love going to Munich.

I'd love to go to Vancouver.

On the home front, I love going to County Clare. Always good fun there. A drive along the west coast is also very rewarding.

"..And the only time I feel alright is when I'm into drinking.
It sort of eases the pain of it and levels out my thinking.
It's a long way from Clare to here..."
Jobi
Gold Member

Postby Paul A Jellis » Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:09 pm

and as Christy says 'If it's music you want, then go to Clare'.

so I did, and loved it, as well as most of the West coasts of Ireland and Scotland.

I have some great times in Austria, France (Brittany and Normandy) and Germany, and this year Norway. At home I love Yorkshire, Cumbria, Cornwall and my (semi)native Wiltshire. The only place in England that I really don't like is London. It's filthy!!!

Cheers, Paul
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:56 am

Vous etes bienvenues en Clare, les villages au bord d'la mer
Les pecheurs et les fermiers, toujours contents de parler
On rencontre sur le chemin, nos amis les Acadiens
On veut bien vous recevoir, vous etes bienvenues en Clare

For some reason, the Acadian (French-speaking) region on the southwest shore of Nova Scotia (New Scotland) is called Clare. I have not heard that it has any Irish history. It is home to l'église Ste-Marie, the largest wooden church in North America.

Deactivated Member

Re: favorite traveling locations...

Postby LeoDLion » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:11 pm

Most favorite is Siracusa, Sicily where I spent many weeks with a good friend from Wales- the one who drink like a fish.

Other places are: Manila, Tokyo, Kashima, Osaka, Kuantan, Singapore, Hongkong, Macao, Taipeh, Bergen, Gottenburg, Antwerpen, Amsterdam, Munich, Ingelstadt, Kuwait (yes, its a nice modern city), Porto Alegre, Sao Paulo.
LeoDLion
Gold Member

Postby martin grant » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:20 pm

I'm a huge fan of both Islay and Orkney. Both islands are just so friendly, scenic and close to home it's unbelievable. Probably Islay edges it because of the golf course at The Machrie.

Abroad, I love to visit Madrid. The food and drink in this city are amazing. Can't recommend enough The Hotel Emperador on Gran Via (Madrid's main street). Great location, and a roof top pool.
martin grant
Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:32 pm

Marin during whisky festivals, summertime in the Dakotas, fall in Scotland, late summer in Utah, anytime on the Hawaiian Islands. Many other places but these are a few favorites.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby S_tan_De_mon » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:03 pm

Hello all:

As I am the proprietor and sole employee of a retail store, my travel over the last 15 yrs has been very restricted and is basically local. My favorite travel location by default is The Wine & Liquor Depot, plus a few cyber-locations: TWE, Binny's, LFW, and Royal Mile. Quite a sheltered life I live. But, I do have a lot of really great whisky (and whiskey) to help assuage my unfulfilled wanderlust desires... :wink:

Slainte!

S'tan
S_tan_De_mon
Silver Member

Postby Ganga » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:34 am

Did I forget to mention S'tan's as a worthwhile destination? :thumbsup: If nothing else, great company for an evening.
Ganga
Matured cask

Re:

Postby Quaichuser » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:29 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:...the Eyesores, the Islets of Langerhans, the Sea of Tranquility, the canyons of Mars, the mountains of Venus, the moons of Saturn, Riverworld, Earthsea, Arrakis, Caladan, Krypton, the Phantom Zone, the Negative Zone, negative space, subspace, inner space, MySpace, certain parts of the Andromeda Galaxy, the realm of the imagination, the mind's eye, the heart of the sunrise, where No Man has gone before, world without end, amen, amen!

You must be the forums own Hank Snow. :lol:

In no particular order I love Scotland, Cuba and Cape Breton and Prince Edward Island.
Quaichuser
Bronze Member

Postby Wave » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:38 pm

Scotland is my #1 destination as I've been there 4 times now since 2001. Favorite destinations in Scotland are Edinburgh, Islay, Speyside (specially around Dufftown and Rothes), Aberdeen, Perth (for some reason I just love that town!), The Shetlands (got to do an Archaeological tour there, Isle of Mousa & Sumburgh), The Orkney's (Stromness & Kirkwall).

Beyond Scotland I've also been to New Zealand (loved Christchurch!). Long term plans are a return trip within the next couple of years. Australia was pretty cool, really liked Melbourne and Townsville (about 200 miles~ south of Cairns), the Outback (Alice Springs) was pretty neat, but the flys will drive you batty if you don't have some type of netting on. The heat wasn't a problem for me, I like it warm!

My Japan trip just this last summer was very interesting and with in next several year I'm gonna have to go back just to spend more time in Tokyo, the 3 days I spent there originally just wasn't enough. Next time I want to spend at least a week there and I already have a hotel picked out in the Shinjuku train station. Why Shinjuku? There's lots of cool little record shops sprinkled throughout the district and not to mention just a stones throw from the Tanakaya liquor shop in Mejiro! :mrgreen:

My next trip (May '08) is already in the planning stage, looking to spend at least a week in Ireland (Dublin, northern coast-giant steps, Belfast) before taking the ferry at Larne (to Troon) and spending another 2 weeks there, atm trying to get reservations through Celtic Legend (Edinburgh) for a multi-day tour to Speyside and the Highland distilleries. And I'm gonna have to get to Islay ...at least for a day (fly over) and get some new Valinch's at Bruichladdich and visit with some of the people I've met there in my last 3 trips to Islay!

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Next

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder