Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Does anybody drink Glenfiddich?

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Postby Les Paul » Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:42 am

Badmonkey wrote:Glenfiddich 15 Solera Reserve and Glenfiddich 18 are, in my view, excellent malts. I have the 12, 15, and 18 at the ready for curious guests, and to date no one has been disappointed in the latter two. I must admit that the 12 is not a particularly exciting whisky; at least it's not expensive.

Yes......I completely agree with all of this. I've had all 3 bottles ...and the 15 and 18 really shine.
Les Paul
Bronze Member

Postby Wave » Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:46 pm

I use to drink Glenfiddich back in the 80's but then I discovered Islay whiskies and the rest is history. Even though I'm not a big Glenfiddich fan now the distillery is a definite must-see if you're in or around Dufftown, plus it's a free tour, what more can you ask for?!!

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:03 pm

Anyone had the new Toasted Oak version?

What did you think of it?
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby Drrich1965 » Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:48 pm

My favorite GF was the Havana Reserve 21; I had it last year in Costa Rica, a very nice malt. Was able to guy the Current 21 Gran Reserva; although am waiting for a good occasion and the emptying of several bottles before I open...
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby headlessparrot » Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:42 am

Indeed, count me also among those pleasantly surprised by Glenfiddich. Their 12 Year Old is respectable - average, but respectable - but I was quite impressed by the 15 Year Old Solera. Very fruity and rich, and exceptionally smooth (although some, i guess, balk at that descriptor, I don't think that its necessarily a bad thing).
headlessparrot

Postby Thomas H. » Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:06 pm

BruceCrichton wrote:Anyone had the new Toasted Oak version?

Hey Bruce. I had a nosing and tasting of Glenfiddich at Glenfiddich distillery last friday. The Toasted Oak was there too. Even Richard Cotton, the distillery manager isn't all that fond of it. Again, not bad, like the standard 12yo, but just not exciting enough.

I though the nicest dram their was the 30 year old, good drinking.
Thomas H.

Glenfiddich

Postby wandering pict » Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:47 pm

The product went through a really poor patch in the early 1990's but 10 years on became older and increased the sherry wood content. I have to admit to enjoying most malts and my cupboard has whiskies from all over Scotland, Ireland (well the two distilleries there) and America. My favourite has returned to Glenfiddich 12yo closely followed by the Caoran Reserve and Solera.
However who knows, tomorrow I may discover a new treasure.
:o
wandering pict

Postby BruceCrichton » Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:14 pm

Thomas H. wrote:
BruceCrichton wrote:Anyone had the new Toasted Oak version?

Hey Bruce. I had a nosing and tasting of Glenfiddich at Glenfiddich distillery last friday. The Toasted Oak was there too. Even Richard Cotton, the distillery manager isn't all that fond of it.

I had it at Whisky Live, in Glasgow. Ian Millar chucked it into my glass, he's a great guy! 8)

Grabbed a bottle from the distillery on Saturday.

Ian told me that he thought it was a liqueur when he first tried it. It's certainly the sweetest Glenfiddich.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby pouranother » Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:43 pm

I thought I would go back and revisit this topic after having a few more references to go on.

I find the the 'Livets to be a bit more complex overall than the 'Fiddichs.
That being said I prefer the 'Fiddich 12 to the 'Livet 12, seems to have a better mouthfeel and and a richer flavor, not a lot of complexity but decent flavor. Of the later expressions I've tried the 'Livet 18 comes out ahead of the 'Fiddich 15. Fair comparison, maybe not? The 'Livet 18 seems to have a lot going for it, were the 'Fiddich 15 seems a little thin to me. While on this topic, has anybody had the Nadurra yet? Impressions My state has a backorder of 120 bottles. I think it's gonna be a while.
pouranother
Bronze Member

Postby Mad Mac » Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:36 pm

I have always considered Glenfiddich and Glenlivet to be good - but not great - drams. They're good introductory whiskies, not too challenging to the novice but with a little more to offer than the Lowland malts (my apologies to any Lowland fans out there - it's just my opinion!). As someone wrote earlier, they just weren't malts I thought much about.

Not long ago however, a friend convinced me to try the 18 year expressions of both. I must say I was very pleasantly surprised. While still not challenging in the manner of an Islay or Talisker, they were far superior to their younger cousins. I now keep a bottle of one or the other on hand for those nights when I want something easy, or want to introduce a friend to the joys of Scotch.

Slainte,
Mac
Mad Mac

Postby ScotchPalate » Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:51 pm

I have a bottle of the Solera Reserve. It's great, smooth yet flavorful (flavourful) and a unique single malt. Everyone who I've let try mine has really enjoyed it, from novice to experienced palate.
ScotchPalate
Bronze Member

Postby ResIpsa539 » Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:04 pm

I have the 12, 15, and 18 in my collection. The 12, while well balanced, doesn't offer too much and I usually offer it to my friends who are used to drinking the cheap stuff.

The 15 is one of my favorite bottles - one of the smoothest scotches I have ever tried. A little plain on the finish though. I will say that I just finished a bottle of it, and the last 1/6 of the bottle had been sitting still for a couple of months; consequently, it was quite sweet - almost boubonesque.

The 18, IMHO, is bad. Not enough maltiness and to me, I taste salty notes. I keep the 18 around for people who know about scotch and may be more intrigued by it than I am.
ResIpsa539
Bronze Member

Postby Rankles » Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:16 pm

I picked up the standard 12 yr last night form work (they had a great offer on it, £7.33 off as 'malt of the month, a promotion which I hope they keep running and with staff discount it was 15 pounds for the 750ml bottle) and it's definitely worth what I paid for it, but my least favourite of my current selection.
Rankles

Postby BruceCrichton » Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:22 pm

The 'toasted oak' will be on offer, next month, in Tesco, according to a letter I got from the distillery.

It is great stuff.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby peergynt323 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:02 am

I thought Glenlivet 15 and Glenfiddich 15 were alright. Both have a wine/brandy kind of tint. Glenlivet 18 is a real crowd-pleaser for the less adventurous palates and one of my favorite daily drams. I have yet to try Glenfiddich's parallel.
peergynt323
Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:35 am

...over here! Yes it is I and I with a dram o' Solera up in mi han'!

Here 'com me tasting notes:

Taste real good you know people! Kinda everyt'ing Rasta want from a fit speysider! Sweet an'dry...well roun', an' deep,mon! Mi hav NO PROBLEM wit' whisky so smoooth, dread! Dem KILL fe a dram a dis back in Jamaica! And the bl**dclat only 40%! Man this would be WICKED at 46% and some o'dat non-chill-filter bizness! But I well chilled! Glenfiddich a class act rasta!

12 is a lickle young for I and I! But me prefer 15 to eighteen year old, y' know...

Don't tell de police!
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby toshie » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:54 am

So, to paraphrase Mr R, you like it?
toshie
Bronze Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:33 pm

Rather, old chap!!
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Re: Does anybody drink Glenfiddich?

Postby coolblinkybeanz » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:08 am

I am from the states and just got interested in scotch. I bought a couple 5cl bottles to start with one was Glenlviet 12 and the other was Glenfiddich 12. Of the two, I prefer the Glenfiddich and just purchased a bottle of the 15. I found them both very smooth with a nice finish. So, my guess is that anyone who drinks whiskey would like the Glenfiddich. I am interested in trying other scotch's and would love some feedback and suggestions. A couple other ones I had considered were Caol Isa 12, Balvenie 12 double cask, Glenmorangie 10, Highland Park 12, Laphroaig 12, Dalwhinnie...so any input would be greatly appreciated. I would be willing to spend some money on a truly remarkable bottle.

thanks!
coolblinkybeanz

Previous

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder