Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

old/stale taste

All your whisky related questions answered here.

old/stale taste

Postby allysonnev » Sat Jan 27, 2001 6:44 pm

my fiancee drinks jameson, and notices after a short time of opening the bottle, it gets a less than desirable taste. we store it ina walnut hutch behind a door in the bottle it is purchased in. we tried a decanter, but the problem was worse.

any sugg?
allysonnev

Postby Tim » Wed Jan 31, 2001 7:37 pm

I wish I could help you but unfortunately once I open a bottle it doesn't have much time to go stale :> )
Tim

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Mar 05, 2001 6:25 pm

Posted on behalf of Chris Brousseau:

There is a bit of a debate about this, but personally, I found once any whisky has been opened for a while, especially if it is below half full, looses some flavour over time. I used to drink my whisky to about half and then put it in my collection. Now I don't bother because I find after a year or so they do change, for the worse. Besides, this gives me an excuse to drink them rather than look at them.

Some say that by removing the air with the wine instrument for this purpose, helps. Also, store them upright and out of direct sunlight.

Chris
Deactivated Member

Postby whiskycollector » Sun Mar 11, 2001 4:39 pm

I agree with David that whisky usually starts losing some of its flavour once it is half way down the bottle.

I can suggest that you pour the contents into a smaller bottle, instead of trying to take the air out

Sukhinder
whiskycollector

Postby Mr A gummidge » Wed Apr 25, 2001 6:11 pm

Whilst visiting various farms in Scotland, i overheard some one describe a Whitehorse blend whisky as fire water??? does this mean it was stale??

[This message has been edited by Mr A gummidge (edited 25 April 2001).]
Mr A gummidge

Postby Hans » Thu Apr 26, 2001 5:49 pm

My friend told me that he heard Charlie Maclean last year tell a story in Oban about peoples in Scotland drinking Whitehearse whiskey, which was supposed to be a whiskey that was made without a licence. I think this was in the Highlands quite soon, and of course the name is a joke too !

Hans
Hans

Postby Mr A Gurner » Sun Apr 29, 2001 4:22 pm

Mr Gummidge, the term 'fire water' implies that the whisky in question was not agreeing with ones palate. Perhaps the useful adition of a tiny splash of spring water would help overcome the firey feeling detected whilst drinking white horse.
The same also applies to Bells, on one occasion i could have sworn i was breathing fire just like a medievil dragon due to not adding water, my freind tells me i scorched his eyebrows.He was'nt best pleased i can tell you.
Thank you

Mr A Gurner

[This message has been edited by Mr A Gurner (edited 29 April 2001).]
Mr A Gurner

Postby chris s » Sun Apr 29, 2001 4:28 pm

[This message has been edited by chris s (edited 29 April 2001).]
chris s

Postby Frederick C. Lindgren » Sat May 12, 2001 6:52 am

To Alleysonev,
Ah yes, we've noticed the phenomenon here across the pond as well. By the time an excellent bottle of Laphroaig gets here, and it's half gone, in just a matter of weeks the angels have got their share, and then some. Years ago, in Baltimore, Maryland, we used to say, it's become abit brackish. Consider yourself blessed that your Jameson doesn't have to travel 2 to 3 thousand miles before it gets tasted.

Slainte,
Fred
Frederick C. Lindgren

Postby JVP » Sat Jun 16, 2001 7:36 pm

I can corroborate the note from Mr A Gurner on the importance of adding water.
Back in Australia the infamous Corio 3-star whiskey was known to 'put blood in a wooden leg'!!!!! Local custom was to add 1/2 gallon of water per nip and if this didn't do the trick it also doubled up as a useful homemade sheep-dip!

Thankfully those days are long gone!

Regards...........JVP
JVP

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder