Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

McClellands "Single""

All your whisky related questions answered here.

McClellands "Single""

Postby Alan » Tue Jun 05, 2001 10:24 pm

Greetings from Vancouver, BC, Canada.
We are currently enjoying a "single" malt under the name of McClellands. It is available in Highland, Lowland, Speyside and Islay versions (I'm enjoying the Islay, which I think is excellent).
I do NOT, however, believe this to be a single, but rather a vatted malt. I have not been able to find any literature or any reviews of this product.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Alan

Postby Iain » Wed Jun 06, 2001 8:24 am

I believe the Islay is a single malt from Bowmore Distillery, and there is no age statement on the label. The Highland is presumably from Glen Garioch, the Lowland from Auchentoshan.
Iain
Double Gold Member

Postby Alan » Wed Jun 06, 2001 6:01 pm

Iain,
Thanks for your reply.
One more question. Why wouldn't they name the distillery on the label? Don't they have to?
Alan.
Alan

Postby gbclark » Sat Jun 30, 2001 11:27 pm

McClellands is produced by Morrison Bowmore the owners of Bowmore, Auchentoshan and Glen Garioch. It was originally produced as a private brand for a grocery chain in the UK I beleive. I would say they don't name the distillery on the label so as not to cheapen the brands they spend a great deal of money advertising and promoting. I know that US regulations state that a "single malt" must come from a single distillery so these are surely not vatted malts. As to the origin of the speyside in the group I have not found out which distillery they are sourcing this from. Also Stefan Gabanyi in his book Whisk(e)y states these whiskies are 5 years old.
gbclark

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder