Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Ardbeg 1965, from which casks it has been drawn?

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Postby PeatPirate » Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:23 pm

Hi all,

There's a new topic-title. The title of the topic however isn't half as important as a thougtfull discussion about the current situation at Ardbeg.

I really think the way Ardbeg ('s owners) operated the last few months, don't deserves a gold medal. But let's give them the benefit of the doubt and wait what happens the in the near future.

Personally (even after reading Dr. Lumsden's reaction) I think we still haven't heard what really happened. But I didn't expect that to happen. Let's hope that it's clear to the owner's of Ardbeg, that we're watching them :twisted: :D

Let us just drink a nice Ardbeg tonight,

Greetz PP
PeatPirate

Postby Aidan » Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:18 pm

I think it's all very straightforward, no? Lumsden's explanation sounds perfectly sound to me.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby PeatPirate » Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:48 am

Hi Aidan, Forum,

Lumsden's explanation sounds perfectly sound to me.

Perhaps you're right Aidan. To be honest, I hope you're right.

Shouldn't be mentioned on the bottle that the whisky has been "finished" in another oak barrel for app. 1 year after they discovered one of the old casks was leaking.

Why put a at the time 38YO whisky for a year in another oak barrel, when you discover one of the casks is leaking? Why not bottle it immediately?

Greetz PP
PeatPirate

Postby Aidan » Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:54 am

Hi PP. They could have been waiting for it to peak, or maybe they wanted it to reach 40 years, as it's quite an age to have on the bottle. They couuld have realised that this was not an option after tasting it at 38.

I'm just speculating, of course.
Aidan

Postby PeatPirate » Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:55 am

Hi Aidan,

You said:

maybe they wanted it to reach 40 years, as it's quite an age to have on the bottle.

Dr. Bill said:

One final detail is that you are not quite correct to call the 1965 Ardbeg 40 years old - I had it bottled in 2005

So, that's not the issue here.

They could have been waiting for it to peak

Perhaps the opposite is true. It could have been over the hill, why additional maturing was needed (this is what I heard from well informed but unconfirmed sources)

As long as this is not comfirmed it is no more than a hypothesis. But I think this hypothesis is going to be somewhat "confirmed " by the tasting notes of this whisky.

There's going to be a tasting session next week with some big shots of LVMH and some whisky afficionado's I know. I will post the notes when I have them.

Greetz PP
PeatPirate

Postby Aidan » Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:15 am

What I meant was that maybe their goal was to get it to 40 years old, but the felt it would nto last that long when they tasted it at 38...
Aidan

Postby peatjunkie » Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:12 pm

There's going to be a tasting session next week with some big shots of LVMH and some whisky afficionado's I know. I will post the notes when I have them.

Yep's and I am one of them, :lol: I will let you know how the 1965 is tasting.
A few more day's 8)

Geert
peatjunkie

Postby MGillespie » Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:25 pm

Geert, I'm jealous!

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:29 pm

I think we all are very curious about this one. We'll wait in anticipation.

This probably will be a great whisky but where on the Ardbeg scale does it lie?
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Bert B. » Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:03 pm

I will also be one of these happy few ... the jury will be severe but correct.

We keep you posted ...

Cheers,
B. !!!
Bert B.

Postby Jeroen Kloppenburg » Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:07 am

PeatPirate wrote:There's a new topic-title. The title of the topic however isn't half as important as a thougtfull discussion about the current situation at Ardbeg.

Hey PP,

Care to share what that topic title is? Or the direct URL to it? Tried to find it, but wasnt able too :\

Dank u :o
Jeroen Kloppenburg
Silver Member

Postby PeatPirate » Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:30 am

Hoi Jeroen,

I think there's a little misunderstanding. One of the other forum users asked me by PMS to change the original topic title, so there's no other topic as far as i know.

He thought the first title (something with scam and misunderstanding) was damaging and a bit harsh.

I didn't fully agree with him, but as this forum is for everybody, and because I'm a really, really nice guy, I changed the title immediately 8)

So I finally contributed to political correctness (yuk :shock: ) My father would be proud...

Greetz PP
PeatPirate

Postby Jeroen Kloppenburg » Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:19 pm

Ahh ok, np's =)
Jeroen Kloppenburg
Silver Member

Ardbeg 1965

Postby Ardbeg badger » Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:41 pm

I am now in possession of my bottle of 1965 Ardbeg.

Looking forward to tasting the minature!!!!!

The only comment i have is that the same level of presentation should have been given to the miniature as well as the main bottle.

The miniature is shown as 1965 by a sticker on the bottle the label should have been handblown in glass as on the main bottle, is this a ploy to get people lucky enough to own a bottle to drink the miniature, and enhance the value of the bottle if the miniature is still intact?

anyway, will let you knoe, will be comparing against a lord of the isles, and a 29 year old platinum edition Ardbeg.

All the best Ardbeg 1965
Ardbeg badger

Postby bamber » Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:44 pm

Lucky you ! Enjoy :)
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:14 pm

PeatPirate wrote:Hoi Jeroen,

I think there's a little misunderstanding. One of the other forum users asked me by PMS to change the original topic title, so there's no other topic as far as i know.

He thought the first title (something with scam and misunderstanding) was damaging and a bit harsh.

I didn't fully agree with him, but as this forum is for everybody, and because I'm a really, really nice guy, I changed the title immediately 8)

So I finally contributed to political correctness (yuk :shock: ) My father would be proud...

Greetz PP

Wish to say it wasn't me--I thought use of the word scam was a bit sensationalistic, but I expressed my opinion.

It is an interesting facet of human nature that people are often willing to believe the worst of a situation, even when there is no logic to it, rather than believe the mundane truth.
Deactivated Member

Postby peatjunkie » Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:15 pm

Hi Forum,

You can see on our website http://www.lindores.be how the tasting was

We had good food,good company,good fun and good whisky.

Geert
peatjunkie

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:46 pm

Excellent article PJ... now we know what all the fuss is about....

We'll good luck to you and your bottle hope ye have many years of friendship together ...... as it is more of a commitment than the purchase of a bottle :lol:
irishwhiskeychaser

Previous

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder