Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Bruichladdich Cask strength or not?

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Bruichladdich Cask strength or not?

Postby Herman » Tue Oct 23, 2001 11:46 am

In the Bruichladdich Cask offer, the distillery advises/ tells people not to have their whisky bottled at cask strength (while I have some very fine whiskies at cask strength) What could be a reason for the Bruichladdich to issue such an advise??
Regards, Herman
Herman

Postby SpeedyJohn » Tue Oct 23, 2001 12:42 pm

Herman:

You could email them and ask. But, it seems the Laddie folk believe the optimum drinking strength of a whisky is 46%. Most folks who buy cask-strength whisky dilute it with a bit of water before drinking. The best water to dilute a whisky is the same water used in its production. Since it's nearly impossible to buy the water used to make Laddie, we would use an inferior substitute. They save us the trouble by diluting it with their own water before bottling. Since they don't chill filter their whisky, all the good stuff would still be in there.

Slainte,
SJ
SpeedyJohn

Postby Herman » Wed Oct 24, 2001 6:05 pm

Hi SJ,
I have also asked them, I just think it's always interesting to get info from an independent source (like yourself).
You're right about the water on site, the Laddie although also says that the whisky won't have enough time to marry with the newly added water and could therefor ruin the whisky.
By the way: sadly enough the Laddie is one of the few distilleries that bottles with the local water........many distilleries bottle somewhere in Glasgow or Edinburgh, where they often also mature the whisky.
Thanks for your reply,
Herman
Herman

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder