Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Whisky and the Military

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Whisky and the Military

Postby Frank D.Scott » Thu Mar 21, 2002 4:17 pm

Hello all,I am working on a paper for an organization that wants any information on scotch whisky and the Highland Regiments.Any ideas on where I might get some material on this topic?
Frank D.Scott

Postby Iain » Thu Mar 21, 2002 4:22 pm

One of many possibilities is to write to Chivas Bros re their links with the Black Watch. Another of their brands, The Glenlivet, had close connections with the Gordon Highlanders.
Iain
Double Gold Member

Postby Opi » Thu Mar 21, 2002 9:49 pm

Sorry Ian,
but isn´t it Glenfiddich (William Grant & Sons) having a strong connection to the Gordon Highlander Regiment (I remeber W. Grant had a nickname: The Major, because he had been so enthusiastically engaged within the regiment that he improved to that rank, the highest rank permitted to a non-professional soldier in peace time).

Gordon&MacPhail has created the Highland Fusilier (a Vatted Malt) 5, 8, 15, 21 and 25 year old on the occasion of the fusion of the two regiments Highland Light Infantry and the Royal Scots Fusiliers to the Highland Fusiliers (in 1959). The former regiments had been of importance for the town of Elgin where Gordon&MacPhail have their shop.
Opi

Postby Iain » Fri Mar 22, 2002 10:15 am

Glenfiddich too. But Captain John Gordon Smith and Colonel George Smith Grant of TG both held commissions in Volunteer regiments associated with the Gordons, and a cask of The Glenlivet was carried by the British relief forces to Ladysmith in 1901, specially despatched by TG as a gift to the Gordon Highlanders who were among the garrison beseiged by the Boers there. Chivas Brothers have all the details.
Iain
Double Gold Member

Postby Iain » Fri Mar 22, 2002 10:26 pm

I had a wee look for more info re The Glenlivet and the Gordons.

Captain Bill Smith Grant of The Glenlivet Distillery served with the 1st Gordon Highlanders in France during the First World War, and was awarded the Military Cross for conspicuous gallantry at the Battle of Arras. Many of the distillery workers also served with the Gordons in France. Bill SG's elder brother (who would have inherited the distillery had he lived) was killed in France, but he was an airman.

I'm sure there are stories such as these for most old distillery families.

Re Captain John Gordon Smith - he eventually became an honorary Colonel in the Gordons. Apparently he donated a hefty sum to kit out men of the 6th Volunteer Battalion in Gordon tartan. There used to be a portrait of him in uniform hanging at the distillery visitor centre.
Iain
Double Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder