Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Miniatures

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Miniatures

Postby Ize » Tue May 07, 2002 5:22 am

Greetings friends of whisky,

I started to wonder whether miniatures are "nono" or why there hasn't been any talk about miniatures here at the forum. (I tried search and got only two quite poor hits.) It would appear to be budget solution for searching good whisky that one might order later in bigger bottle, but is the taste different or is there other reason why this issue hasn't been covered earlier here. Should I ashamed because I have ordered few miniatures for my "trials"? Image

Kippis,
Ize
Ize
Silver Member

Postby lexkraai » Tue May 07, 2002 7:01 am

Hi Ize

I quite often get miniatures when I'm curious about a whisky but don't want to buy a full bottle at first. The only thing against miniatures is that it doesn't allow you to try a whisky a couple of times and so discover notes you didn't notice at first. But for a first impression, they're fine IMHO.

Cheers, Lex
lexkraai
Silver Member

Postby St.Peat » Tue May 07, 2002 7:07 am

Ize -- Whisky is meant to be enjoyed, and miniatures can be part of that enjoyment Image

I believe that the UK and the EU have a broader range of minis available, but there are places in the US which offer a good selection too. Japan's reputation for them is formidable

Not only are they a 'safer' way to experiment a bit, but they also can be purchased while one is otherwise on a buying 'freeze'. For example, I recently found an OB Longmorn and another version bottled by Cadenhead. I doubt that I would purchase a full bottle of both for the H2H, but my total outlay for the minis was $15 or so ... not bad.

There are many full-fledged mini collectors out there, and so it may be difficult to locate some expressions.

Go for it! Enjoy them! Image You can even arrange a tasting of minis ... let participants bring their own, and swap a bit before starting. It can be great fun, and a nice alternative to the costlier full-out tastings. Each 50ml bottle holds 2 moderate-size drams, right?

Cheers!

[This message has been edited by St.Peat (edited 07 May 2002).]
St.Peat
Bronze Member

Postby Nodin » Tue May 07, 2002 9:44 pm

I was under the impression that each mini held one good sized dram...not two moderate sized drams Image
I have a few minis in my collection but go with full bottles when ever possible...another option is half bottles.
Nodin

Postby Ize » Wed May 08, 2002 7:06 am

I would consider half bottles (0.33l or 0.35l right?) but they are very rare. Very few "collection" packages I have seen, but I would like to select what bottles I will buy. I don't like the idea that when wanting to test one bottle you have to buy others that I'm not so keen on. More rare thing seems to be 0.2l bottles. That size, IMO, would be the best. With 5 drams you would know for sure whether you love or hate it. Image

Kippis,
Ize

P.S. I have measured three 5cl bottles, each have been so far nearer to 6cl than to 5cl. ;-)

[This message has been edited by Ize (edited 08 May 2002).]
Ize
Silver Member

Postby Nodin » Thu May 09, 2002 8:01 pm

You are right...there are very few half bottles available locally (minnesota) but when i was in the mother land last month there seemed to be quite a few available...
All were standard expressions though. Talisker 10yo, Macallan 10 yo, Glengoyne 10yo, Oban 14yo, etc.
Nodin

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder