Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Evaporation in bottle

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Evaporation in bottle

Postby Steve » Mon Mar 18, 2002 9:30 pm

I have read a couple of times that bottles that are left for too long can evaporate in the bottle.

This doesn't sound plausible to me. I can't see how a sealed bottle can allow liquid (evaporated or not) to escape - surely it would condense on the lid? Particularly if it is sealed in plastic around the stopper as nearly all bottles are.

A more likely explanation for different levels in the bottle would surely be simply the differences in the fill level? (or a sneaky butler?)

So, has anyone positively and absolutely owned a bottle that has been factory sealed, then left for a while, so that when they returned to it the level of liquid inside had diminished?
Steve

Postby Steve » Sat Mar 23, 2002 6:27 pm

Well, judging from the lack of response, I'd say that puts that one to bed.....

No further questions your honour, I rest my case......
Steve

Postby sudhir » Mon May 20, 2002 7:00 pm

Hi Steve,
I have bottles that were gifted to us 4-5 years ago.All the bottles were sealed.In some bottles the level of whisky did diminish(5-20ml).Maybe the alcohol content vapourises due to excessive heat since average temperatures in India
are 28C-39C.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Steve:
<B>I have read a couple of times that bottles that are left for too long can evaporate in the bottle.

This doesn't sound plausible to me. I can't see how a sealed bottle can allow liquid (evaporated or not) to escape - surely it would condense on the lid? Particularly if it is sealed in plastic around the stopper as nearly all bottles are.

A more likely explanation for different levels in the bottle would surely be simply the differences in the fill level? (or a sneaky butler?)

So, has anyone positively and absolutely owned a bottle that has been factory sealed, then left for a while, so that when they returned to it the level of liquid inside had diminished? </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
sudhir

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder