I have read a couple of times that bottles that are left for too long can evaporate in the bottle.
This doesn't sound plausible to me. I can't see how a sealed bottle can allow liquid (evaporated or not) to escape - surely it would condense on the lid? Particularly if it is sealed in plastic around the stopper as nearly all bottles are.
A more likely explanation for different levels in the bottle would surely be simply the differences in the fill level? (or a sneaky butler?)
So, has anyone positively and absolutely owned a bottle that has been factory sealed, then left for a while, so that when they returned to it the level of liquid inside had diminished?