Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Phenol blast (rumoured 'laddie "Octomoe")

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Phenol blast (rumoured 'laddie "Octomoe")

Postby Ize » Wed Aug 07, 2002 6:47 am

Greetings,

I saw a posting on alt.drinks.scotch-whisky newsgroup about forthcoming Bruichladdich "Octomore" that would have phenol levels at 65ppm and more (when Ardbeg has ~50ppm and Laphroaig and Lagavulin >30ppm). Does anyone here have more information (like age, price and availability etc.) of this possible earth shattering whisky? I can't control my salivary glands ... :P

Kippis,
Ize

P.S. Uwh, the name is Octomore for this forthcoming 'laddie. Mistake copied from the newsgroup ...
There is some information on http://www.bruichladdich.com/the_new_distillate.htm seems that it was distilled this year, so we have to wait over ten years for the bottles. :-/

[This message has been edited by Ize (edited 07 August 2002).]
Ize
Silver Member

Postby r0b » Mon Aug 26, 2002 11:22 pm

Indeed, I agree it sounds very interesting. In case you have not seen it, there's info at Bruichladdich's website:

"Octomore
On the hills above Port Charlotte, is a farm where the versatile James Brown - piper, policeman, light houseman, and farmer - rents out his excellent holiday cottages. In the farm's barns is the site of a small, ancient distillery that has long since disappeared, though signs remain in some of the outhouses of its presence.

Following the success of the Port Charlotte, the first maltings of the new whisky to be distilled later in the year have been made, achieving an astounding phenolic content of 70 ppm - the most heavily peated barley - ever. This promises to be intriguing...."
http://www.bruichladdich.com/the_new_distillate.htm
r0b
Bronze Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder