Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Macallan Revisited

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Macallan Revisited

Postby Ileach » Mon Aug 26, 2002 8:47 am

Since the previous discussion has moved to the slightly different, yet not less important, discussion on colouring, I would now like to return to Macallan with a question:

Is the Macallan ESC II (exceptional single cask II) yet another marketing gag? 50cl @ 59.3 vol for £80 seems quite a lot to me but it seems it is selling quite well (sold out on the website).

Ileach
Ileach

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Aug 26, 2002 3:21 pm

Hi Ileach,

Ofcourse some marketing is involved, no doubt about it. But sometimes if you can get quality, combined with exclusivity, then 80 GBP isn't a bad price, but I agree it's a lot of money, especially for a 0.5 liter of Macallan..... But as you can see, people are buying it, I personally wouldn't do it, because it's still a lot of money, and ofcourse it depends where your priorities are...

Slainte,

Erik

[This message has been edited by Huurman (edited 26 August 2002).]
Deactivated Member

Postby Iain » Tue Aug 27, 2002 12:22 pm

Ileach - Both Dave Broom and Michael Jackson suggest (see Tasting Room on this site) that Mac ESC isn't an exceptional whisky - they complain the wood dominates.

Although MJ then awards it a score of 9/10, which seems perverse and silly in light of his comments. I never could make sense of his "scores". DB rates it 7.75.

Don't know what they make of ESC II - there is no review on this website although the Mac website claims MJ awards it 9/10 too(has it been reviewed in the mag???)
Iain
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Aug 27, 2002 2:31 pm

Hi Iain,

It all depends, I think, on personal taste. But the funny thing is, is that every whisky that's being tasted by the so called experts, seems to be good or less good or even bad, and everybody follow the taste of the experts, and nobody gives a damn about their own taste. It doesn't mean directly if, for example, Dave Broom says that the Macallan ESC isn't that much exceptional, that it suppost to be like this, I mean every other person who taste a Macallan ESC, might say it is exceptional is his point of vieuw.......So there you are....

Slainte,

Erik
Deactivated Member

Postby Gate » Tue Aug 27, 2002 4:50 pm

Spot on, Erik. The bottom line is: Do I like this whisky? The experts'opinions are just a guide to get some idea of whether I'm more or less likely to like it. The price of the ESC means I'm never likely to get to decide whether I agree with MJ or not; but I will say I agree with him on the Macallan Thirties - outstanding. I still prefer the Balvenie, though.... Image
Gate
Silver Member

Postby Iain » Wed Aug 28, 2002 8:09 am

Err... exactly, Erik and Gate.

But the bottom line is - you both say you have not tasted this whisky, and so you are not able to offer Ileach an answer to his question based on your own personal taste. Neither can I. I merely referred to the opinions of two people who have tasted the ESC - of course you are welcome to disagree with them.

I wonder how many people actually open these very expensive bottles, other than whisky writers and guests of corporate pr? Or do most purchasers keep them unopened as a speculative "investment"?
Iain
Double Gold Member

Postby Gate » Wed Aug 28, 2002 10:03 pm

Well, the straight answer to Ileach's question "Is the Macallan ESC II (exceptional single cask II) yet another marketing gag? " is "Of course it is". £160 a litre isn't readily justifiable on anything other than rarity and collectability grounds, even if the whisky is excellent. You can't help but be impressed by how they manage to keep selling it in these boutique bottlings at outrageous prices, though.
Gate
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Aug 30, 2002 10:30 am

Iain,

Sometimes you have to be very lucky to taste a very exclusive Macallan, and sometimes I had this kind of luck. But let me tell you one thing, that if I had the money to buy two of the Macallan ESC(vol.1 and vol.2) I would open them straight away and shared a dram or two with my neighbour who happens to be a Macallan fan.

I didnt taste them, so you are right that in a way I can't give Ileach a proper answer, but however I can give my opinion about this matter, just simply by saying that it's very expensive, but very exclusive. Like I said before if I had the money I would buy them and open them.....

About others: MJ says this and DB says that, it's their personal professional opinion, but it doesn't have to say that we are going to like it or not. And yes you are right Iain in a way, that MJ give a 9/10 and that his comment is far from that, but I guess that MJ has a very special place in his hart, if it comes to The Macallan(like I have too, for Macallan), so The Macallan scores always a high position..
But I must say that they are doing a great job(but that's personal ofcourse)..

Slainte Iain,

Erik
Deactivated Member

Postby Frank » Fri Aug 30, 2002 7:46 pm

His heart is very near his wallet.
Frank

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Sep 01, 2002 10:43 am

But his heart, understands the pain in his wallet.
Deactivated Member

Postby Iain » Tue Sep 03, 2002 9:45 am

Err...ik. I think the point is that MJ doesn't pay for his Macallan - rather, he gets paid to drink it and tell us all how marvellous it is. And what a lovely colour too :-)
Iain
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Sep 03, 2002 4:08 pm

Iain,

I totaly agree Image with you a lovely color and a womderful taste, and a nice smell too

Erik

What a job MJ has, tasting whisky and get paid too....
Deactivated Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder