Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Glenfiddich Havana

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Glenfiddich Havana

Postby JUERG GLUTZ-KURMANN » Fri Aug 09, 2002 12:24 pm

Hi there,

I would like to know your comments about the brand new Glenfiddich Havana (Rum cask finished). In my eyes this is an absolutely delicious dram and anybody who thinks that Glenfiddich is a mainstream whisky (i.e. not complex enough) I give the good advice to try it! Erm...no I am not related to the family of Wm Grant and Sons....

SLAITE MHOR!
juerg
JUERG GLUTZ-KURMANN

Postby Ileach » Sat Aug 10, 2002 9:30 am

Hi Juerg

I have ordered it but not yet received - tell me, have you found a source in Switzerland where you can get it? for how much?

Merci.

Ileach
Ileach

Postby JUERG GLUTZ-KURMANN » Mon Aug 12, 2002 6:22 am

Hi Ileach,

I have found the Glenfiddich Havana via Internet from Richard Joynson, Loch Fyne Whiskies. Here in Switzerland we have not many shops with such a wide selection (also collectibles). I think you can buy this bottle here but sometimes you have to wait for special bottlings.

SLAINTE!
Juerg
JUERG GLUTZ-KURMANN

Postby Filip Verleye » Wed Sep 11, 2002 11:12 am

Hi,
you are right it's a great whisky !
Greets,
Filip
Filip Verleye

Postby Ize » Thu Sep 12, 2002 11:08 am

I'm bit pessimistic what comes to Glenfiddich, but could this really be good Glenfiddich ... although it is very pricy so subjective issues must have some kind of influence. Image Anyway, still I can't help it, it sounds to me very odd that you would age whisky very very long time (21 Y.O. that is) and then finish it in rum cask. Image

Kippis,
Ize

[This message has been edited by Ize (edited 12 September 2002).]
Ize
Silver Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Mon Sep 16, 2002 10:22 pm

I tasted it and it was very nice but I can't afford £60 per bottle. I'm afraid it was at the whisky fringe and it was late on so I didn't make exact notes.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby Ize » Tue Sep 17, 2002 5:29 am

Same here, Bruce, that's app. 100€ which is too steep for me too. My current limit is 40€ but I might have slip from that for the Aberlour A'bunadh, that's around 50€.

Kippis,
Ize
Ize
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Sep 18, 2002 9:06 pm

Hi there Bruce ,you were'nt wearing a kilt per chance.I believe a good time was had by all, I even managed to catch my train home.I didn't taste the Havana but tried the Solera for the first time and was pleasantly surprised.See you there next year.
Deactivated Member

Postby Ileach » Mon Sep 23, 2002 5:50 pm

Well, recently, on one of those warm autumn evenings, I decided to give it a try.

First thing I noticed was its extreme sweetness - mashtun and cereal. And it wasn't very easy to nose - not very open.

Normally, when I try a new malt, I know whether I like it or not. With this one, I am not sure.

But then again, I remember hearing J.J. Cale for the first time (many years ago) and I didn't like it, but every time I came back to it, I enjoyed the sound more.

Maybe it's the same with Glenfiddich Havana Reserve.

I'll have to try it again.

Ileach
Ileach

Postby BruceCrichton » Tue Sep 24, 2002 5:10 am

No I wasn't wearing a kilt. I was wearing a Famous Grouse experience cap and I look like Stone Cold Steve Austin with my shaved head and build.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder