Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

THE BEST DISTILLERY TOUR?

All your whisky related questions answered here.

THE BEST DISTILLERY TOUR?

Postby Ian_Hamilton » Mon Jul 29, 2002 10:26 pm

I did a few tours on my visit to Scotland and without a doubt the Springbank tour was by far the best.
Maybe also I was a little lucky to have Frank MCHardy (Manager) doing the tour but all I can say is WELL DONE all at Springbank!!
Very imformative and good fun, and a superb REAL distilerry.
I would love to hear comments on other tours.
Glengoyne - very poor
Bruichladdie - Good
Arran - Okay tour, nice Cafe.
Ardbeg (not J. Thompson) - Not good

Lets your YOUR comments
Thanks again
Ian
Ian_Hamilton
Bronze Member

Postby Alfred Barnard » Thu Aug 01, 2002 1:35 am

----------------------------------------
'Sorry this has been removed as it was deemed unsuitable by the forum moderators.'
----------------------------------------

[This message has been edited by Admin5 (edited 02 August 2002).]
Alfred Barnard

Postby BruceCrichton » Thu Aug 01, 2002 9:47 am

Good tours?

Aberfeldy/Dewars is better than Famous grouse although Grouse has an excellent restauraunt . Strathisla is original as well.

Glenkinchie is very good as you can get tastes of all the other whiskies in their portfolio.

Glen Moray is good if you go with some pals as you can get tastes of 3 different whiskies.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby Iain » Thu Aug 01, 2002 10:10 am

As always, Alfred, your tasting notes are exemplary. If only Michael Jackson had your nose and taste buds, not to mention your command of the mother tongue. I believe he could do with someone (anyone!) else's hair style too, but that is another matter...

To the matter in hand... I can say with authority that, instead of the chill filtration much disliked single malt aficionados, Ardbeg is now filtered through the old rags once used to bung the casks. This must surely impart the exquisite flavours you discern and so accurately describe. Of course, like sherry casks, cloth bungs are in short supply in the industry. In recent times, I believe, several old pairs of socks belonging to the Thompsons have been utilised in their place. Let us hope that this does not have a detrimental effect on the traditional character of this fine dram.
Iain
Double Gold Member

Postby Alfred Barnard » Sun Aug 04, 2002 8:41 pm

Great Scot !

Deemed unsuitable, a veneric such as I in a modern age ! And all I said was bung-cloths ! Sirrah - what is this modern world ?

AB
Alfred Barnard

Postby Irish » Tue Aug 06, 2002 1:13 pm

Having visited all the distillery tours in Ireland and Arran, Edradour and Glenturret in Scotland the best tour is provided by Locke's Distillery Museum in Kilbeggan, Ireland which is run by a local voluntary committee. They put the professionals to shame. The guides are very informative and the tour is not diluted by the marketing of a product.
Irish

Postby nthorpe » Mon Aug 26, 2002 9:17 pm

One of the best tours I had was Blair Atholl, because you could try alot of the Flora & Fauna range that make up Bell's, Dallas Dhu was ok, but you only get to try Roderick Dhu blend, Macallan is quite good their you start with a 10yr, then their range of replicas from the 20's,30's,40's and 50's and its free!!
nthorpe

Postby Jonas » Mon Sep 09, 2002 12:30 pm

I visited Islay this spring, and the tour at Ardberg was one of the better (Lagavulin had the best tour), so I guess it very much depends on which guide you get. We also visited Bowmore, which was a big disappointment, with a young woman who couldn´t answer even the simplest questions.
Jonas

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Sep 09, 2002 2:51 pm

The best distillery tours I had was at the Glenturret Distillery, The Macallan Distillery, Bunnahabhain Distillery, Ardbeg Distillery, Dalwhinnie Distillery, Bowmore Distillery, Laphroaig Distillery, Lagavulin Distillery, Isle of Jura Distillery, those tour where quite remarkeble for me, It's hard to say wich was the very best, and this is just few of the many tours I had, so I can't realy say that this was the very best.....

Erik
Deactivated Member

Postby Rudolph Hucker » Mon Sep 09, 2002 3:25 pm

During last year's Kentucky Bourbon Festival, a real Southern breakast at the Maker's Mark distillery in Loretto, followed by a tour of the distillery personally conducted by Bill Samuels.

Life doen't get much better!

cheers

Rudolph
Rudolph Hucker
Silver Member

Postby Rudolph Hucker » Mon Sep 09, 2002 3:28 pm

During last year's Kentucky Bourbon Festival, a real Southern breakast at the Maker's Mark distillery in Loretto, followed by a tour of the distillery personally conducted by Bill Samuels.

Life doesn't get much better!

cheers

Rudolph
Rudolph Hucker
Silver Member

Postby jonno » Sun Sep 29, 2002 4:25 pm

Went round Glenfarclas in their silent season and you get a good sense of the scale of things when you see it empty, superb. Also got a taste of the 30 year old which made it worth the entry fee!
jonno

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder