Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Rumours

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Rumours

Postby wandering pict » Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:04 am

I have heard from a very good source that someone is interested in installing equipment into the old Annandale Distillery in Annan and re-commence distillation after almost 90 years. Anyone else heard anything? :)
wandering pict

Postby les taylor » Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:27 pm

Sorry no, not heard that one.

:)
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:02 pm

I've not heard that either, but I will now watch with interest.
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:59 pm

California tumbles into the sea--that'll be the day I go back to Annandale.
Deactivated Member

Postby lbacha » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:40 pm

Must be a story there.
lbacha
Gold Member

Postby peergynt323 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:39 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:California tumbles into the sea--that'll be the day I go back to Annandale.

Guadalajara won't do.
peergynt323
Gold Member

Re: Rumours

Postby David Thomson » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:50 am

[quote="wandering pict"]I have heard from a very good source that someone is interested in installing equipment into the old Annandale Distillery in Annan and re-commence distillation after almost 90 years. Anyone else heard anything? :)[/quote] :D Your sources are correct! I bought the former Annandale Distillery on April 5th and I certainly do intend to re-commence distillation. Fortunately, the buildings have remained with the same farming family since Johnnie Walker quit in the early 1920s, so they are largely intact (although sadly delapidated). All of the distillation equipment was apparently stripped out by Johnnie Walker and reinstalled at another distillery. I'd love to know where? We've got a monumental job ahead of us but we're highly committed, well financed and ready to go. David Thomson
David Thomson

Postby les taylor » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:13 am

Welcome to the forums David and wish you well in your venture. Please keep us informed as your project develops.

Regards

Les.

:)
les taylor

Postby killerwhale » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:34 am

indeed, welcome and keep us up to date if possible..... congrats & I hope it goes well for all!
killerwhale
Gold Member

Postby kljostad » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:47 am

David Thomson wrote:
wandering pict wrote:I have heard from a very good source that someone is interested in installing equipment into the old Annandale Distillery in Annan and re-commence distillation after almost 90 years. Anyone else heard anything? :)
:D Your sources are correct! I bought the former Annandale Distillery on April 5th and I certainly do intend to re-commence distillation. Fortunately, the buildings have remained with the same farming family since Johnnie Walker quit in the early 1920s, so they are largely intact (although sadly delapidated). All of the distillation equipment was apparently stripped out by Johnnie Walker and reinstalled at another distillery. I'd love to know where? We've got a monumental job ahead of us but we're highly committed, well financed and ready to go. David Thomson

That was one hell of a first post!

:D

Good luck with your project!
kljostad
Bronze Member

Postby Di Blasi » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:09 am

Yes, I guess the rumor is true! Good luck to you David Thomson, you have a fitting name for the project, keep us posted!!!
Di Blasi

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:25 am

Great stuff David, welcome indeed and please do keep us informed.

Regards,
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby David Thomson » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:27 am

[quote="les taylor"]Welcome to the forums David and wish you well in your venture. Please keep us informed as your project develops.

Regards

Les.

:)[/quote] :D Thanks Les (and all everybody else) for your good wishes. I'll do my best to keep you informed. The buildings are listed (thankfully) so progress may be quite slow at first as we seek all the various permissions. However, I've already had a letter of support jointly from the Planning Dept at Dumfries and Galloway Council and from Historic Scotland, so I hope that this will expedite matters.

I plan to get a website up and running in the next few months, so I'll post some recent photos as soon as it's live.

Regards

David Thomson
David Thomson

Postby wandering pict » Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:43 pm

Hi David,

I have sent you a private message but in the meantime all the best with the venture. There have been a number of new ventures recently and a number of others are in the pipeline.
It is really great to see entrepreneurs like yourself getting involved in this industry.
Wishing you every success :D
wandering pict

Postby TheLaddie » Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:23 am

Congratulations David. I hope you are able to keep us up to date on what is going on. It will be fascinating for us to see how things develop.

Good luck and I hope we will be discussing your whiskies on this forum in the future.
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:55 am

Best of luck to you, Mr Thomson. I hope I will have the opportunity to visit your operation long before California tumbles into the sea.
Deactivated Member

Postby MacPete » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:21 pm

Does anyone know the current status of the Annandale project? I'm curious as to how far along they are, and can't really seem to read anything out of the webpage
MacPete

Postby LagaDrinker » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:03 am

I wasn't even aware of the project. I hope it is all going ahead.
LagaDrinker
Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder