Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Whats your next purchase going to be???

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Whats your next purchase going to be???

Postby Ian_Hamilton » Wed Sep 04, 2002 9:31 pm

Hi
I thought I would start an interesting new topic. I am fairly new to tasting whiskies, I have probably tasted only around 35-40 different ones.
So I am interested in whats rated and whats good at the moment?
So what I want to know is whats the next bottle you plan to buy???

I am thinking of Bruichladdich 20 yr old!
Ian_Hamilton
Bronze Member

Postby Nodin » Thu Sep 05, 2002 12:07 am

I've heard rumors of a 12yo Cask Strenth Lagavulin...if these prove true i will seek that out. Also may pick up the Glenfiddich Havana reserve (anyone had this? how is it?) though that would just be for the novelty of it as it's not available here in the US...
Taa,
Nodin
Nodin

Postby r0b » Thu Sep 05, 2002 3:48 am

I've ordered three The Balvenie. 17, 21 and 25 Yrs old. I'll get them on Monday (Sept 9). I'll be eating air for the next month because they don't come cheap.

But who the hell needs food when you get three malts as good as these, eh? Image

(Next one after that is Ardbeg 17. I was going to get the 1978 but it's sold out.)
r0b
Bronze Member

Postby Ize » Thu Sep 05, 2002 5:03 am

Lagavulin was my first love, but I'm not sure what has happened at the distillery it has become milder in peat and smoke. Johannes Van Den Heuvel at www.maltmadness.com has noticed this thing which I'm worried about.

Aberlour a'bunadh that should be worth of the experience. If I have understood correctly there isn't much of differences between the batches. This might be my next buy.
Ize
Silver Member

Postby Gate » Thu Sep 05, 2002 1:41 pm

I am finally going to go for the cask strength Nikka Yoichi 10-year-old single cask. If it's even half as good as Jim Murray says, I shall be a happy man.
Gate
Silver Member

Postby blackkeno » Thu Sep 05, 2002 2:25 pm

Where will you buy the Japanese Whisky? We have very little access in the US.

I just picked up (but haven't opened) some interesting bottlings by Samaroli. They are the "No Age" vatting and a Longrow 15yo 55% abv. I am very fond of Longrow and have been very impressed with previous Samaroli bottlings, expecially their millenium Longrow 12yo "cask strength."
blackkeno
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Sep 05, 2002 2:25 pm

My next bottle will be the Bunnahabhain 1968 "Hogmanay Edition", I'm looking forward to that one, but I'm very curious about the new Caol Ila bottles(12Y,18Y and cask strength), and also the new Lagavulin editions(12Y and 24Y). So there's a lot to look forward to....

Slainte,

Erik
Deactivated Member

Postby DLion8888 » Thu Sep 05, 2002 4:13 pm

My next purchase will depend on when I get the money to fund such purchase. I recently bought a 3 liter bottle of Sprinbank and two magnum bottles of Macallen and Highland. I like to get hold of another 3 liter bottle if I could.
DLion8888

Postby Irish » Thu Sep 05, 2002 4:52 pm

Connemara Cask Strength.....Just perfect ..much better than the usual 40% ABV (far too much peat and smoke in this)
Irish

Postby Gate » Fri Sep 06, 2002 8:40 am

Hi Blackkeno, I'll be putting in an order via Ben Nevis (owned by Nikka, I think). I think that only applies within the UK, but there are some sources on the Web - the Maison du Whisky (http://www.whisky.fr) sells a fine range of Nikka malts and will send internationally, but I don't know if there's any difficulty at the US end in getting liquor sent to US addresses.
Gate
Silver Member

Postby blackkeno » Sat Sep 07, 2002 3:32 am

Gate, Thanks for the tip. I order from overseas 3 or 4 times per year. Orders from retailers in Scotland and Germany have gone OK. Distilleries and bottlers have been problematic. My only order from Maison du Whisky was for their glasses and was challenging (but worth it). I will look further.
blackkeno
Bronze Member

Postby St.Peat » Sat Sep 07, 2002 8:13 pm

My latest bottles were all Douglas Laing OMCs. I got 2 Macallans (11yo & 24yo), and the new Tactical 20yo (Talisker).

I think I want to try the new Port Ellen label 'standard bottling' of Lagavulin to see if it really does taste tamed, or gelded, as so many people have said. My first bottle of Lag16 was in 2001, and it had the old White Horse Distillers label, and it was (is?) my favorite malt. All of my local shops have been restocked with the new one, so I'll have to do some digging to find a White Horse label to compare it with. I laid my WH label bottle to rest nearly a year ago, and haven't had a tast of the Laggy since. This would be my first repeat purchase, but since it is so changed now, it might count as a different (devolved) bottling.

For my next completely new purchase I would like to try a peaty Brora, or an older Springbank, but the price of both will decide which.

Cheers! -- St.Peat Image
St.Peat
Bronze Member

Postby Nodin » Sat Sep 07, 2002 11:34 pm

Can someone point to an image of the new Lagavulin label? I don't believe that i've seen it yet as Lagavulin is not a big seller here (the horror!) so all of the labels look like my first bottle (1999)...am i going to need to buy up all of the remaining stock here???
Thanks,
Nodin
Nodin

Postby St.Peat » Sun Sep 08, 2002 2:47 am

Nodin --

The labels look the same, for the most part. The color scheme and shape are the same, but the 'White Horse Distillers' words are swapped out for 'Port Ellen [blah blah]'.

St.Peat

[This message has been edited by St.Peat (edited 08 September 2002).]
St.Peat
Bronze Member

Postby GordonH » Sun Sep 08, 2002 9:13 am

Hi Peat,
I think your getting slightly confused with the label ,is it just the address that has changed ?It used to say White horse...,Glasgow ,but on the two recent DE's its got the address of the distillery , if so i think this is to do with the recent changes at what was UDV ,the Port Ellen Maltings had a new sign out side it saying "Diageo Global Supplies"(if my memory serves me right), so i think they've been changing everything over . On the Taste issue i've been saying for years that Laphroaig has changed (dumbed down IMHO)but i got told it was my taste that had changed over the yeaars !
Cheers
Gordon
The Site - http://www.spirit-of-islay.co.uk
The Forum - http://www.spirit-of-islay.co.uk/msgboard/index.html
The Club - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/spiritofislay
GordonH

Postby Nodin » Sun Sep 08, 2002 2:01 pm

Peat, Gordon, thanks...
Still definately mostly older bottles here so maybe i'll go get a couple this week...
Taa,
Nodin
Nodin

Postby Rudolph Hucker » Mon Sep 09, 2002 2:59 pm

Next bottle I intend - hope - dream of buying?

No contest - Four Roses Single Barrel.

Incomparable!

Cheers

Rudolph
Rudolph Hucker
Silver Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Fri Sep 13, 2002 5:26 am

Aberlour A'bunadh is very good and quite smooth for a cask strength. It changes very little with water (I only add very little water to cask strength whiskies and never to ordinary whisky).

Glenfiddich 21 yr Rum cask is excellent although well out of my price range at £60 per bottle.

Ardbeg 17 yr is superb and has a habit of jumping out of the bottle and into your glass.

Caol Ila 12 yr old is a fine medium peated dram, ideal for those who miss the old Whyte and Mackay Bruichladdich and the 18 yr old is even better.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby heer.veer » Thu Oct 10, 2002 9:50 pm

Hi, there!

My liquorist spoke two times last week to the guy that makes the Lagavulin 16 (he's retireing at the end of the year). The man still insists it's all not true that the LAG 16 is changing! I'm going with Johannes (http://www.maltmadness.com). It's getting more sweet and less peaty. I'm not happy about it. Stock up on the bottles with the "white horse" statement on it! (I did, got the last 6 he had). Did you notice the royal seal also has gone?)
heer.veer
Bronze Member

Postby Ize » Fri Oct 11, 2002 5:26 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by heer.veer:
My liquorist spoke two times last week to the guy that makes the Lagavulin 16 (he's retireing at the end of the year). The man still insists it's all not true that the LAG 16 is changing! I'm going with Johannes (http://www.maltmadness.com). It's getting more sweet and less peaty. I'm not happy about it. Stock up on the bottles with the "white horse" statement on it! (I did, got the last 6 he had). Did you notice the royal seal also has gone?) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

*sigh* I wonder where I could get one (or two) too. :-/ (See my thread whisky trading/auctions.) Liquer stores in Finland are run by the government so I don't expect get that lucky as you.

Kippis,
Ize

[This message has been edited by Ize (edited 11 October 2002).]
Ize
Silver Member

Postby heer.veer » Fri Oct 11, 2002 6:51 am

Run by government? does that mean the prices are high too? I was lucky indeed. My liquorist (both of them actually) allows me to look in his stock. Luckily they aren´t too organized, so I found 3 LAG´s sitting there catching dust on the back of a shelf. They have 3 shops in the town where I work, so I found the following three in teh second shop, the third was sold out.

I think I will post a new thread asking people about the quality of Lagavulin 16´s...

[This message has been edited by heer.veer (edited 11 October 2002).]
heer.veer
Bronze Member

Postby Ize » Fri Oct 11, 2002 8:37 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by heer.veer:
Run by government? does that mean the prices are high too? I was lucky indeed. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
We have quite high taxes on alcohol products, especially for hard liqour, Lagavulin 16 is around 55€ here. Another thing is that there isn't "old stock" because turnover rate is high ... you can't find dusty bottles in the finnish liquor store. Image On the wine side the situation is good, one can find few hundreds or even near thousand different bottlings, I assume that is rarely beaten in "free achohol countries" in the wine stores. But on hard liquor side it is worse, mainly because of the taxes that higher for them and in that way the selling is less for them and that's why the supply is smaller.

Kippis,
Ize
Ize
Silver Member

Postby heer.veer » Fri Oct 11, 2002 9:07 am

That´s a bummer. Lagavulin prices in Holland are much more "friendly" I pay no more than €36 here (0.7 L). The distillers edition is a lot more expensive, €57 to €68.
heer.veer
Bronze Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder