Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Lagavullin Distillers edition?

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Lagavullin Distillers edition?

Postby Ian_Hamilton » Fri Oct 11, 2002 11:50 am

Can you tell me how this rates as a Lagavullin?
Ian_Hamilton
Bronze Member

Postby heer.veer » Fri Oct 11, 2002 12:23 pm

It rates almost as good as or maybe even better than the 16. It depends on the year of bottling. Some people like the DE better, some like the 16 better (1999 or earlier). I´m one of the last. I tasted the 2000 bottling of the DE and the first "Port Ellen" bottling of the 16 and liked the latter better, but a friend of mine liked the DE better. So there you have it. Just try it and you´ll know. IMHO the DE is waaaaay to expensive (or the 16 too cheap?)

[This message has been edited by heer.veer (edited 11 October 2002).]
heer.veer
Bronze Member

Postby Gate » Fri Oct 11, 2002 12:54 pm

I think it's an absolute stormer: IMHO even better than the "regular" 16 y.o. (although at the price, so it should be). But like heer.veer says, some people like the 16 better, and who can say they're wrong? You just have to taste them both - no hardship there Image
Gate
Silver Member

Postby heer.veer » Fri Oct 11, 2002 1:02 pm

Gate is right too,

It´s no punishment to try them both. I like the 16 better, but I´m absolutely happy to drink the DE too. It´s really hard to describe, but both differ a lot, more than expected. You really should try them both. just as with the regular 16 the older DE´s are better. Another tip: Don´t hurry finishing the bottle, after opening it gets better.
heer.veer
Bronze Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder