Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Decline of the Lagavulin 16

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Decline of the Lagavulin 16

Postby heer.veer » Fri Oct 11, 2002 7:07 am

People,

I´d like to know how you feel about the dumbing down of the Lagavulin 16. I hear about it a lot, but still the head distiller at Lagavulin denies claims they are changing the 16. Am I kidding myself or are you too noticing something strange about the Lag...
heer.veer
Bronze Member

Postby lexkraai » Fri Oct 11, 2002 8:31 am

I'm convinced Laga 16 has become less peaty over the years. It's the whisky that got me interested in single malts years ago, but present bottlings are nowhere near what it was say 10 years ago. I've also had friends asking me recently whether it really was Lagavulin I was pouring them. I can't prove anything, but there's no doubt in my mind.

cheers, Lex
lexkraai
Silver Member

Postby heer.veer » Fri Oct 11, 2002 8:56 am

The lagavulin-Guy will retire at the end of this year. I will ask my liquorist to keep track of him so he can ask him the same question after his retirement. Not contolled by UDV he´ll maybe cofirm what we all already know and maybe hear what else is in store when newer bottlings of the Laga emerge in the future. Maybe the 16 will be discontinued?
heer.veer
Bronze Member

Postby Nic Rhodes » Fri Oct 11, 2002 9:26 am

Aren't Lagavulin going to a 12 year and 25 year old? I thought it was this month.
Nic Rhodes
Bronze Member

Postby heer.veer » Fri Oct 11, 2002 9:35 am

That´s great!

Will one of them be a Rare Malts version?

The 12 is 58% and costs €140.
The 24/25 will be priceless then...

I think €140 is pretty steep for a 12, even at Cask Strength.
heer.veer
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Oct 11, 2002 12:23 pm

Hi,

Had a few drams from a Lagavulin 24Y old straight from the cask at the distillery some time ago, I noticed that it should not exceed the 24 years, because it started to loose its character.... But the 16 will stay.
The 12 is just a nice starter for a slightly youger version of Lagavulin(just like the good old days), The 25Y old? I sincerely hope that it will maintain the original character of Lagavulin.....

Slainte,

Erik
Deactivated Member

Postby heer.veer » Mon Oct 14, 2002 8:58 am

Ok, ok, I´m the last one not to be anctious about the new 12. But how can they think of such a price? that´s no nice starter in my book...
heer.veer
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Oct 14, 2002 2:12 pm

Hi heer.veer,

If a single malt becomes very popular, and uses sherry casks to mature their spirit in.... Then you can expect that it's going to be expensive, but look at the quantity, they have to make several other costs, and who knows what more they have to do?

Slainte,

Erik
Deactivated Member

Postby heer.veer » Thu Oct 31, 2002 1:53 am

Hi there y'all!

I'm reviving this post.

As I thumb through your notes, mostly on ghastly Loch Dhu, which is a shame really, because I can think of thousands of drams that are more worthy of discussion, but there you have it...

As I was saying, whilst reading your notes I'm having a dram of my Lagavulin 16. It's been open for almost 2 months now, and even though it's almost the last bottling that has been released, it still is great, and changed considerably in the last month. (but the older ones are better)

Still I'd like to hear more of you and what you think of what is often called the greatest dram around...

Strange, since now even Ardbeg is believed to be better than this...

[This message has been edited by heer.veer (edited 31 October 2002).]
heer.veer
Bronze Member

Postby hpulley » Thu Oct 31, 2002 4:39 pm

Lagavulin 16 has never been a favorite of mine. Good? Yes, definitely but not the best scotch nor even the best from Islay. I used to prefer Bowmore 17 to it and I currently prefer both Ardbeg TEN and 17 to it with my nod at present going to the 17.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Ize » Fri Nov 01, 2002 7:02 am

Tastes differ, Image to me Bowmore 12&17 and Ardbeg 10&17 have residual flavour which I could describe as sheep wool with a tad of oily taste. In older ones that taste is softened down and they are to me better, but in younger ones it is quite noticeable and it makes them unattractive to me. Lagavulin and Laphroaig do not have that flavour and that's why I prefer them better. Image

Kippis,
Ize
Ize
Silver Member

Postby Gate » Fri Nov 01, 2002 1:16 pm

If you're in the mood for that huge seaweedy hit, Laphroaig, particularly the 10 yo cask strength, beats any other Islay. But I only really get in the mood for that in the depths of winter. In more normal conditions, I go for the Lagavulin 16 or, on balance, the Distillers Edition, because they have lots of everything, but well balanced. I haven't been a regular enough Laga drinker over the years to say if they've "dumbed it down", but it does seem less extreme than I remember the old 12 yo being in particular. I have to say, I have recently got into the entry-level Ardbeg TEN, and am really growing to like it - it might overtake the Laga 12 in my affections. I actually like that lanolin/wool oil edge (I feel that Port Ellen and Caol Ila have it a bit as well). There isn't an Islay whisky I don't like. BUT ("come outside and say that" statement): none of them holds a candle to Springbank or Longrow at their best.
Gate
Silver Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder